Chew on This, K-House

Now we know why everyone eats at Kirkland: It’s a party in your mouth. A what? Several Kirklandites were asking
By Anna K. Kendrick

Now we know why everyone eats at Kirkland: It’s a party in your mouth.

A what?

Several Kirklandites were asking the same question after a March 2 t-shirt design vote at Stein Club. The shirts, which replace the Bubblicious logo with “Kirkland: It’s a party in your mouth,” have left at least a few residents shaking their heads.

“At first none of us understood. We just couldn’t figure out what Kirkland had to do with bubble gum or if there was a pun that we were all missing,” wrote Kirkland resident Jayne F. Wolfson ’08 in an e-mail. “When it came down to the final vote, all of the guys cheered for the bubblegum shirt. We then realized that it must be some sort of sexual joke.”

Rebutting the suggestion that friends of designer John K. Minervini ’07 had a hand in his win, Minervini deadpanned, “I was in China all last year and I don’t know anyone in Kirkland. The idea that I got all my friends to cheer for my design, well, you have to have friends first.”

And frankly, said Minervini, Kirkland House was ready for something a little more bubblicious than the Disney-esque enchanted castle design that took second.

Pearl D. Houghteling ’08, present at the vote, disagreed. “Many people were disappointed that, from 20 or so options for shirt designs, we managed to choose one that’s mildly offensive and not that funny.”

But Minervini has this to say in response to his detractors: “Whatever they see in this, I think they’re bringing that to the table. A party in your mouth would be impossible, because one person couldn’t fit in a mouth, let alone the two or three necessary for a party.”