Does metropolicity hang on the racks at Goodwill? Chen hopes to find it.

Kathleen H. Chen '09

Kathleen H. Chen ’09 arrives at The Crimson calmly prepared for a challenge. As she picks up her 24 dollars
By Nicola C. Perlman

Kathleen H. Chen ’09 arrives at The Crimson calmly prepared for a challenge. As she picks up her 24 dollars for her 24 hours of designing, she is nonplussed when the theme of Metropolis is revealed.

Two hours later, Chen, sporting purple slip-on shoes and black-frame glasses, is ready to go. Walking down rainy Mass Ave. to the Goodwill in Central Square, Chen explains her philosophy behind her creations:

“I design clothes because I’m cheap,” says Chen, laughing.

As Chen hustles through the Goodwill, dodging a rather large woman trying on a kelly-green floor-length coat, she proves herself to be thrifty indeed. After discarding heaps of clothing, oblivious to an errant customer singing in the background, Chen finally settles (after some heckling with the Goodwill cashiers) on a sheer white nightgown, a gold and black sweater-vest, two white table runners, two grey T-shirts, a black sweater with gold buttons, and a black lace cami.

Back in Adams two hours later, Chen is all business, cutting up everything except the nightgown into fabric circles, which she proceeds to sew into bunched flowers. As she fingers a table runner, Chens muses on the history of her chosen fabric:

“Who had sex on this bedspread? Tablecloth? Who had sex on this table?! Am I, like, covered in juices right now?”

While roommates poke their heads in to check on progress, Chen declares her thoughts behind the pending creation to be “meta.” She hopes to highlight the theme of metropolis by covering the entire white skirt with cascades of black flowers, illustrating both the griminess and beauty of cities.

But by 11 a.m. the next morning, the plan has been slightly altered—as has Chen’s original tranquility. Instead of a dress cascading with flowers, Chen is fitting model Anne E. Austin ’10 in a simple white lace skirt and black cami.

“So here’s the deal,” says Chen, frantically pinning a few of the abandoned flowers to the back of the skirt. “I had a panic attack and nixed the whole flower idea. Then I went to sleep.”

As Chen continues to talk, her design begins to materialize into a sexy black top and high-waisted A-line shirt. The revived flowers, decorating a wide lace train, pull it all together.

Finally, by 11:45, Chen is done—with a mere but appropriate 15 minutes to spare.