Hammel and Gardner rock the pub and bring fun—and Lindsay Lohan—back to Harvard for real.

Look: They're So In Love

“The next song goes to Lindsay Lohan,” said Jason Hammel, Mates of State (MOS) drummer, and La Lohan uber-fan. Not
By Candace I. Munroe

“The next song goes to Lindsay Lohan,” said Jason Hammel, Mates of State (MOS) drummer, and La Lohan uber-fan. Not a dedication one would expect from indie-pop royalty, but MOS is no conventional band.

However, the College Events Board (CEB) had no problem choosing the duo, completed by Hammel’s wife Kori Gardner on vocals and keyboards. “They play great music and a lot of people are really in love with them,” said CEB Chair and Crimson columnist S. Adam Goldenberg ’08.

Many students were drawn to the packed pub on Friday night by MOS’ indie-cred, though a number of concertgoers had never heard of the duo. “It’s cooler to go see a band I’ve never heard of than go see Third Eye Blind,” said Spencer A. Murray ’10.

Before the duo came on, Harvard’s The Sinister Turns entertained the crowd. The piano driven indie-pop band preceded each song by displaying a glitter-covered banner with the song title and a poster that read “thank you” at the end. One band member’s mother snapped photos from the floor—apparently she taught her son well.

Then, after a long, arduous and self-conducted equipment set up, MOS began to play to an excited audience.

“Play ‘Punchlines’!” one zealous fan requested.

Pointing at Hammel, Gardner said, “I tried to put it on the set list, but he wouldn’t do it.”

“I don’t know if you can play it,” he retorted. Zing! The two ended up playing the song.

MOS was impressed with both the pub and The Sinister Turns, although Gardner kept referring to them as the “Satire” Turns...but the two groups hung out after the set and all was forgiven.

By the second or third song, nearly everyone started dancing. The normally straight-laced Goldenberg boogied onstage with Fun Czar John T. Drake ’06, who dubbed the event, “Feel-good music for a feel-good pub.”