A Cheap Date: Dead, Falling Leaves

If you’ve been disappointed with the New England autumn’s rainy days and glum weather, you’ve probably just been focusing of
By Mark J. Chiusano

If you’ve been disappointed with the New England autumn’s rainy days and glum weather, you’ve probably just been focusing of the wrong things. FM has scoured the region for the perfect fall experiences that will make you appreciate New England before the first snowstorm:

Blue Hills Reservation

Located off of I-93 and accessible through the Commuter Rail, the Blue Hills Reservation is the most convenient place for an October foliage hike. From the summit hikers can see 7,000 acres of trails and trees combined with a splendid view of Boston proper. Swimming is allowed at Houghton’s pond for those so inclined, though there aren’t any signs to remind you that shrinkage will occur.

Halloween on the Harbor at Georges Island

From Saturday, October 25 to Sunday, October 26, a Halloween-themed Fort Warren will be open for tours, as will the national park and beaches. The festival and activities are free although there is a $14 fee for the ferry ride.

Tougas Family Farm

The farm is open every day from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for apple picking, pumpkin picking and caramel apples. Wagon rides are provided on weekends and half a bushel of apples costs $25. The farm is 40 minutes from Boston, and if the drive is just too much, pre-picked fruit is available with no stigma attached.

Fall FunFest at Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Open Saturday through Sunday October 18 and 19, nearby Faneuil Hall will be hosting a capella groups, street performers and pumpkin decorating workshops. The activities are free of charge. The T and the food are not.

Belkin Family Working Farm

One of the oldest continuously working farms in the country, the Belkin working was established in 1651 and charges $14 to get in and $2.50 per pound of fruit. Pony rides, burlap mazes, hay pyramids and train rides are available for children and freshmen.