We All See The UC

Like a lot of the students it serves, the UC has spent much of its existence at Harvard trying to
By Joseph P. Shivers

Like a lot of the students it serves, the UC has spent much of its existence at Harvard trying to figure out exactly what it wants to do.

The UC’s constitution was adopted in 1982, following a proposal by a student-faculty commission chaired by Professor John E. Dowling ’57 for an advisory student government. It would be funded by a universal $10 termbill charge.

During its first year, the UC began disbursing funds to student groups, while trying to define its larger mission: whether to advocate for political issues, or to push for better student life.

Some council members concentrated on initiatives like the Endowment for Divestiture, a fund for students who wanted their senior gift contribution held in escrow until Harvard divested from Apartheid South Africa. Closer to home, the UC honored teachers with the new Levenson Awards and convinced Harvard to maintain summer storage.

One of the UC’s sweetest successes during its first five years was the addition of chocolate milk to dining hall machines. Alas, it also had to deal with drier administrative issues like Ad Board and calendar reform.

In 1995, the UC began popular presidential elections, and students voiced their desire for more on-campus comforts. For example, the administration of Beth A. Stewart ’00 saw the start of Fly-By and cable in house common rooms.

Since spinning off the planning of campus social events to the newly created College Events Board in 2006, the UC has won some battles (finals before Christmas and student representation on the Ad Board) and lost others (party grants).

As we move into this season’s presidential elections, the next UC leaders will have to face both new and old challenges to keep the student body satisfied. With chocolate milk safely institutionalized, issues such as the implementation of Gen Ed and house renewal will come to the fore.