15 Questions with Kelly Cutrone

Courtesy Kelly Cutrone

“If anyone really wanted to change the world, they’d bring in the fashion bitches,” writes Kelly Cutrone in her new book “If You Have to Cry, Go Outside,” to be released on Feb. 2.

This piece of information might startle the Harvard crowd, who isn’t known for sartorial savvy. The book outlines her tumultuous rise from homelessness to the fashion elite and serves as a guide for navigating an alternative career path. Famous for being the boss from hell of Lauren Conrad on “The Hills” and Whitney Port and her cohorts on “The City,” Cutrone’s own show on Bravo premiered this Monday.

I spent an afternoon with Kelly in the New York City office of People’s Revolution, the public relations firm that she founded. When I first met Kelly, I was carrying a cupcake. Her first words to me were “No one eats solid food anymore. That’s so 90s.” I immediately thought back to the episode of “The City” in which Kelly descends upon a young girl for being too skinny, and I realized that she was just being friendly.

Before the interview begins, I watched her put Donald Trump in his place. The Donald was angry that Kelly dissed him in her new book about his support for Mike Tyson after Tyson was accused of rape. As Trump tried to deny her accusation, she first screamed “motherfucker” and then made one phone call to a very high profile former business partner to corroborate her claim. Upon confirmation, her interns cheered, and Kelly turned to me and said, “Let’s do this.”

1. Fifteen Minutes: Your new book is titled “If You Have to Cry, Go Outside.” Have you ever shed a tear on the job?

Kelly Cutrone: I usually cry at least twice a year. Usually at some point during fashion week. Sometimes it’s out of joy or sheer frustration, but sometimes its because of being ruthlessly and needlessly attacked. I cried out of gratitude once.

2. FM: Who is the target audience for your book?

KC: Village girls and gay boys.

3. FM: The book is supposed to be a guide for girls to make it in the real world. Does it mostly speak to the PR industry, or did you try to include advice for any career?

KC: It’s not really about PR. There are a lot of fashion stories about the fashion industry. But it’s mainly a book to make people realize they’ve been programmed. I talk a lot in the book about how mothers, the life-bringers themselves, sing songs to their daughters like, “First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage.” It’s excessive.

You have to be skinny, pretty, make good grades. Says who?

4. FM: How does this apply to kids at Harvard?

KC: Kids at Harvard, I’m sure there are some that are living their dream, but there are people there experiencing someone else’s dream. And if there are people around you who aren’t listening to you, who don’t believe that you can manifest what it is you are dreaming, or don’t want you to, then you should get the fuck away from them.

It’s a book about deprogramming, about intuition, about taking risks—especially when you are young.

5. FM: You also have a new show on Bravo, “Kell on Earth,” that features your role as a mother. Has your daughter become a celebrity at school since filming began?