Need a Bike? You Can Still Bid on One.

•

Looking for a speedier way to get to the Quad or an environmentally friendly vehicle for touring the area? The Phillips Brooks House Association is ready to supply you with your very own bicycle (or even a moped)—but you’ll have to be the highest bidder to get one.

On Saturday, Harvard’s largest public service organization will hold its annual bike auction to raise money for its programs. PBHA Events Fundraiser Nadia L. Farjood ’13 (who is also a Crimson news writer) informed us that 35 to 40 bikes will be available for bidding, as well as spare parts like wheels and handlebars for the fixer-upper types out there. There is also one big prize—a flashy moped.

PBHA volunteers obtained about half of the bikes by tagging seemingly abandoned bikes in the Yard and Quad this summer; those bikes whose owners did not remove the warning tags were scooped up by PBHA and will now be auctioned. The rest of the merchandise, including the coveted moped, was donated by HUPD, according to Farjood.

From 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., prospective bikers can scope out the goods. The auction will begin at 12 p.m. and last until 2 p.m. Farjood said she predicts that the bikes will go for $50 to $350; in the 40-plus year history of the annual auction, recent revenues have ranged from $2,000 to $3,000, she said.

So check out the auction in the courtyard in front of Phillips Brooks House this Saturday, before the wheels of your dreams are going once...going twice...sold.

Photo by Dillon S. Plunkett/The Harvard Crimson.

On CampusPBHAClubs

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.