A fire in a dormitory on Harvard Business School’s campus in Allston on Sunday evening caused an evacuation of the building but no injuries, according to news reports.
The fire, which was linked to a short circuit in an outlet on the fourth floor of the building, caused more than $150,000 in damage to the building, according to the Boston Globe.
The damage resulted both from the fire and from flooding due to the water that extinguished the flames.
Boston Fire Department spokesperson Steve MacDonald told the Globe that “the water was coming through all the ceilings and floors” of the three floors below the room where the fire started.
All students displaced in the fire will be offered housing on campus by the University, according to news reports.
MacDonald did not state the cause of the short circuit.
The Globe reported that the fire broke out in Building No. 6 of the Soldiers Field Park apartment complex.
The dormitory complex, which was built in 2001 to house Harvard graduate students, contains 478 apartments as well as a child care center, according to the Harvard Campus Services website.
A fire at a different Harvard Business School dormitory in 2009 caused over $100,000 in damages, displaced dozens of students, and injured one firefighter.
—Staff writer Amy Q. Friedman can be reached at email@example.com.
Speakers Discuss Sustainable Development and Agriculture in Latin AmericaRepresentatives from NGOs working in South America and a Harvard professor spoke about the importance of sustainable agricultural practices within small native communities in South America at the Harvard Graduate School of Education Saturday afternoon.