Cemetery Conversations

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina—The kinds of conversations one has in a cemetery are unlike most others. As we snaked our way through Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires, Argentina—our efforts to find the tomb of the famous Eva Peron becoming increasingly fruitless by the minute—I became more and more at ease with this fact.

There in that cemetery my friends and I got lost. Lost in conversation. Walking amongst the exquisite domes paying homage to the great of Argentina, it seemed natural to imagine out loud how we ourselves wanted to be buried. Conversations predicting our inevitable ends was not gruesome, but welcome, and it tickled me that after just two weeks of knowing some of the people on my program, I could tell you whether or not they would prefer that you bury them or scatter their ashes, pull the plug or sit by their side if ever they lost control of their own bodies.

So many of the cemeteries I’ve seen in the United States are set off on the opposite side of the road. They’re set apart from the bustling sounds of the towns that surround them, their manicured lawns sitting deafeningly silent. They’re intimidating. But the Recoleta Cemetery does not sit isolated and aside from the life that surrounds it. Rather, it sits on a bustling street corner, its gates opening to a street fair lined with little stands and food carts, a patch of grass where street performers play their music and families gather sipping mate on the weekends. There Recoleta Cemetery stands, a reminder that death is not separate from life, but a part of it.

Recommended Articles

Circus Skills Help Mayora on the Field
The Neighborhood Pet
Everywhere, walls are jutting out their limbs—metal pipes, nails, and wooden frames—almost as if in dialogue. Dust and rubble cover the surface of every cracked wall, and the buildings seemed to merge into one another as I passed them.
Conflict on a Bridge
With each new incarnation of the bridge, one senses the parties’ hope that if they just use the right image, the right color scheme, the right slogan, their art will mobilize the legions of followers they have long sought.
How I Learned to Get Lost
I called one of my professors in a panic and screamed, “Como se dice I’m lost in the middle of nowhere?” into my cell phone.
Finding My Place
With hundreds of clubs that don’t even open until 1 a.m., Buenos Aires has nightlife unlike any other city. Evenings for club-goers don’t peak until 3 or 4 a.m. and certainly don’t end until 5 a.m. or later.
The Lone Skyscraper
“Have you seen the new Devon building?” the man beside me on the airplane questions. I notice the pride in his voice as he points out of the window and into the approaching metro.