Fax Me at the NECCO Factory

The Sights and Sounds of Necco
Daniel M. Lynch

“Be Mine.” “True Love.” “Cutie Pie.” “Fax Me.”

For well over a century, lovers the world over have expressed their feelings on Valentine’s Day through red ink on a chalky pastel candy. Today, lovestruck sweet tooths consume 12 to 14 million pounds of the stuff each year.

All of it is made less than 10 miles from Harvard Square, in Revere, Mass.—home to the New England Confectionary Company, maker of the indomitable Sweetheart.

The plant is ordinarily closed to visitors, but it’s amazing what one can accomplish with an email starting “Hello, I am a writer for The Harvard Crimson, as well as a very big fan of Sky Bars and Sweethearts.”*

Multimedia

Sweethearts Get Their Text

Sweethearts Get Their Text

A walk through NECCO’s massive factory is a step back into the peak era of American manufacturing. Nearly all of the machines which are used today to make NECCO candies have been around since before World War II. The trusty machinery is still at it now, making not only Sweethearts but also the familiar disc-shaped NECCO Wafers, the bright candy buttons that many of us ate off paper strips as children, and an assortment of lesser-known candies with names like Slap Stix, Peach Blossoms, and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

NECCO’s founders were at the cutting edge of confectionary innovation back in 1847, when Oliver Chase created the lozenge cutter which led to the development of NECCO Wafers.

(The recipe, for flavors like clove, cinnamon, and wintergreen, hasn’t changed since then aside from an ill-fated experiment with all-natural flavorings in 2009.) In the 1860s, Oliver’s brother thought of printing messages on the candies in red dye. In 1902, the company started printing them in heart shapes.

But a little less than a century after the Chase brothers’ ingenious inventions, NECCO froze in time, more or less. The holy trinity of candy making—Hershey, Mars, and Nestle—successfully automated every step of the process, from mixing to molding to wrapping up the candy bars and shipping them out the door. Not at NECCO.

At the NECCO factory, an employee dumps food coloring into metal pails full of steaming hot liquid, whisks the batter, and pours it into a machine caked in a coral-reef-bright accumulation of rainbow batter. That machine then drips the intensely colored liquid onto sheets of edible paper, thereby forming 1,000 pounds of candy buttons every day. Four women manually shove finished buttons, which have cooled for a week, into cellophane bags, while another employee drops each bag into a machine that seals it with a puff of steam. Two more box the bags for shipping.

Someday NECCO will be forced to automate, plant manager Hugh Albert says. But right now, the company, which was bought by the venture capital firm American Capital Strategies in 2007, simply doesn’t have the money for new machines. And despite worries about how the company will stay in business, Albert likes it just the way it is.

“I love to see it, because it’s all about the nostalgia, seeing how this process has been done for 70 or 80 years,” he says. Plus, he says, there’s “the human element of it: I love to see people employed.”

A few decades ago, it would have been hard to predict that M&Ms and Hershey Kisses would be household names while Canada Mints and Mary Janes would become also-rans.

NECCO looked just as poised to become a major sugary power as any other company, as the history lesson on its website would tell it. NECCO Wafers went off to war with Union soldiers in the 1860s and to the South Pole with Admiral Byrd in the 1930s. When the lights came back on in Times Square at the end of World War II, New Yorkers flocked to see the re-lit NECCO Sky Bar sign.