Kennedy’s on the Square Opens Doors

Kennedy's on the Square, which opened last Friday on Dunster St., replaces First Printer.
By Ivan B. K. Levingston and Celeste M. Mendoza, Crimson Staff Writers

One of several new restaurants in Harvard Square, Kennedy's on the Square opened at its location on 15 Dunster St. this past Friday.

Kennedy's on the Square, which opened last Friday on Dunster St., replaces First Printer. By Alana M Steinberg

The restaurant shares much in common with the former occupant of the spot, First Printer, including a similar menu as well as the same executive chef and a similar set of staff members, according to Nikki Frankson, a manager at Kennedy’s on the Square.

“The cuisine is 80 percent the same [as First Printer], but we’ve added small plates,” Frankson said, adding that the small plate price point ranges from $12-14.

With new small dishes such as fish tacos, barbecue pork ribs, and grass-fed beef sliders with kimchi ketchup, Kennedy’s has also made several other changes to the restaurant. The decor of the restaurant now features red leather banquettes, a 70-inch television, high tables, and pictures of the Kennedy family.

“I know there’s lots of gastropubs, but this is a really cool space for the Harvard crowd,” Frankson said.

The new restaurant will be open on weekends, with brunch from 10 to 2 p.m., a special late-night menu from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. that features dishes like deviled eggs and loaded french fries, and a bar. During the week, dining will end at 10 p.m.

Calling the turnover “seamless,” Frankson said that the restaurant has been under the same ownership since last November. While the transition began almost seven months ago, she said that delays in the restaurant industry are common.

Denise A. Jillson, executive director of the Harvard Square Business Association, said that Kennedy’s offered improved food options and a change in furniture to make the ambience more comfortable.

“The previous owners had put a lot of money into the bar and into the kitchen and things like venting.... [The new owners] weren’t planning to make huge changes,” Jillson said. “They’re excited about it and so are we.”

Operated by MG Restaurant Group and sporting a 94-seat capacity, according to the restaurant’s website, the new establishment marks another location for the Kennedy’s chain, which already has sites in Norwood, Sharon, and Newton.

—Staff writer Ivan B. K. Levingston can be reached at Ivan.Levingston@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @IvanLevingston.

—Staff writer Celeste M. Mendoza can be reached at Celeste.Mendoza@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @CelesteMMendoza.

Harvard SquareThe SquareSquare BusinessMetro