What's New on Netflix: Five Blockbusters From November

Glenn Close (left) stars as Mamaw and Amy Adams stars as Bev in "Hillbilly Elegy" (2020), directed by Ron Howard.
Glenn Close (left) stars as Mamaw and Amy Adams stars as Bev in "Hillbilly Elegy" (2020), directed by Ron Howard. By Courtesy of Netflix
By Mikel J. Davies, Crimson Staff Writer

This November, Netflix dropped a plethora of time-tested films, from family comedies to moody dramas. With films featuring the talents of Shawn Mendes, Stanley Kubrick, Dolly Parton, John Legend, Timothée Chalamet and more, this winter promises to be filled with exciting stories to stream.

"A Clockwork Orange" — November 1
A cult-classic for the ages, this film dives into the psyche of a broken man, Malcolm McDowell's Alex Delarge, endowed with heinous "ultraviolence" tendencies in a dystopian future Britain. Now facing a life behind bars, Alex joins a special program to reform him into a new citizen. As one of Kubrick’s most beloved films, “A Clockwork Orange,” released in 1971, is a masterpiece and a must-watch.

"Easy A" — November 1
"Easy A,” starring Emma Stone and Amanda Bynes, is a more lighthearted entry on this list, but still a wholly enjoyable film. “Easy A” is far from the cult classic “A Clockwork Orange” is, but this quirky high school rom-com should be a sure-fire watch this fall. As Emma Stone’s Olive struggles with the spread of risque rumors, the audience gets to see a witty and hilarious modern take on Hester Prynne. With incredibly fun acting and clever writing, this movie might not have won any Oscars, but it did get nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress — Comedy or Musical. It might be important to have “the talk” if watching with a younger audience, but this otherwise family-friendly comedy will be sure to get some laughs.

"Fruitvale Station" — November 12
"Fruitvale Station" is the powerful true story about the life and death of Oscar Grant III on the night of the 31st of December. Ryan Coogler’s film tells an intriguing story about the racism demonstrated by police departments to this day. Oscar (Michael B. Jordan) — with the help of his mother Grace (Octavia Spencer) — tries to get a head start on his New Year's resolutions to keep his drug-muddled, scandalous past behind him and work on being a better father and husband, only to find himself shot on New Year’s Eve. With many recent events stocking the fire of racial tension in America, seeing a true story about how a life can change on a dime solely because of the color of one’s skin may provide an opportunity to learn about how our neighbors are living and remind each other that racism is not an old problem, but one very present today.

"V for Vendetta" — November 15
A tyrannical, fascist government reigns in a fictional Britain in the 2005 classic "V for Vendetta." With only one man willing to stand up to the forces that be, “V for Vendetta” is a film perfectly apt for today’s progressive movements around the globe. With Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving as its stars, “V for Vendetta” will be another joy to see on Netflix this winter.

“Hillbilly Elegy” — November 24
Taking a turn for the somber and dramatic, “Hillbilly Elegy” is based on the memoir of the same name by J.D. Vance. This true story explores the American Dream through the perspective of a man who fought through a rough upbringing to find his place in the Ivy League. J.D. (Gabriel Basso) is a Yale law student who gets dragged back into his childhood home to help his family. In a time where the American Dream seems like a figment of the imagination, this story promises to be one which will elucidate one man’s struggle to find purpose and reflect on the possibility of achieving one’s dreams. “Hillbilly Elegy” is set to be an emotional and compelling story about family values and privilege in America.

— Staff writer Mikel J. Davies can be reached at mikel.davies@thecrimson.com.

FilmArts