‘In the Form of a Question’ Review: Exploring An Unbounded Life of Curiosity

4 Stars

Cover of Amy Schneider's "In the Form of a Question."
Cover of Amy Schneider's "In the Form of a Question." By Courtesy of Simon and Schuster
By Katie A. Silverman, Contributing Writer

Having made nearly $1.4 million asking questions on live television, it’s no surprise that 40-time “Jeopardy!” winner, Amy Schneider, has plenty of questions to both ask and answer in her new memoir, “In the Form of a Question: The Joys and Rewards of a Curious Life.” Through her writing, Schneider answers questions ranging from “What’s it like to be famous?” and “What is the greatest animated television show of all time?” to “Did your parents ever give you ‘the talk?’” — which is to say that Schneider does not limit herself and her story to her time on “Jeopardy!” “In the Form of a Question” is not a story with a beginning, middle, and end, but is instead a complicated, imperfect, and astonishing look at a brave life. At times this makes it difficult to read, but it remains ultimately rich and rewarding.

Schneider’s memoir is more a repository of opinions and biographical details than a coherent story, meaning the reading experience varies dramatically between chapters depending on whether the reader is interested in the specific topic Schneider is tackling. The piece features a seemingly random ordering of chapters, lengthy digressions — including a seven-page tutorial on reading tarot that doesn’t serve a clear purpose in the memoir, however instructive it may be — and a preponderance of delightfully distracting footnotes.

Her memoir is rich, but chaotic; certain details of Schneider’s upbringing, transition, sexual proclivities, and personal values jump out as inconsistent with the cohesive, broader narrative that readers may expect. However, this unabashed disorganization is what makes Schneider’s memoir so successful: This work’s messiness makes it impossible to question its honesty, and in turn its relevance.

Clocking in with a whopping 372 footnotes in 250 pages, it’s clear that Schneider’s bubbly eagerness to share trivia about her life and the world in general cannot be contained even within the eclectic, boundless selection of topics she has chosen for her memoir. These footnotes are decidedly non-optional, and immensely rewarding to read — it is in fact through these tangents that Schneider shines most brightly, exuberantly sharing anecdotes and facts as they come to her and inviting the reader even more deeply into her psyche. The only two chapters without footnotes, “How Did You and Genevieve Meet?” and “How Did You Lose Your Virginity?”, are also stunningly personal and vulnerable, demonstrating a palpable sense of confession. Here there is no over-eagerness to share, just raw personhood.

Readers may find the work unconventional in its style, but will soon realize that convention is not something Schneider aspires to. Schneider uses her writing to explore her many, disparate interests — gender identity, sexuality, mental health, organized religion, theater, and mind-altering substances, to name a few. Impressively, these topics all gel into something like a complete work.

Schneider’s tendency to float spontaneously between topics is effective when the memoir adheres to a self-contained portrait of her life; however, the book suffers when she takes a step outside the bounds of autobiography to offer advice. Schneider encourages her reader to try tarot and seek therapy, and even shares her belief that everyone should be polyamorous. These fourth-wall breaks prove jarring and briefly reduce a powerful memoir to the likes of a self-help book.

“In the Form of a Question” is filled to the brim with personality, tracing the contours of Schneider’s life with a delicacy that is sure to inspire readers. While fans of Schneider and “Jeopardy!” may find additional significance in the work, her raw, poignant explorations of her trans identity, sexuality, and attention-deficit disorder are compelling even to those who have never watched the game show. Schneider grants the reader unfettered access to her curiosity, bravery, and the shame she has overcome. In her writing, Schneider is utterly herself, and uninterested in justifying who she is. This combination makes for a book that is hilarious, moving, and relatable — a piece that any reader will be hard-pressed to forget.

BooksArts