Books that Make the Perfect Holiday Gift

Holiday Book Gift Guide
Holiday Book Gift Guide By Courtesy of Sarah M. Rojas
By Hannah E. Gadway, Crimson Staff Writer

Giving a gift is hard, especially when it’s a book. We all want to wow our loved ones with a thoughtful literary pick, but with the sheer amount of books on the market, it can become overwhelming. No fear — The Harvard Crimson is here to recommend some books to give this holiday season.

Books For Your Mom:

“The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry” by Gabrielle Zevin

This book about a grumpy bookseller and his new life will make you smile, laugh, and cry, all within a few pages. Zevin recently gained traction for her book “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow,” but this novel from earlier in her career is also sure to delight readers. This is a perfect novel for moms who are fans of romance, drama, and loveable characters, but who don’t want a stereotypical love story.

“Beyond That, the Sea” by Laura Spence-Ash

“Beyond That, the Sea” is for readers with diverse interests. Set during the Second World War, Spence-Ash’s novel follows a myriad of perspectives on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. The book switches its plotlines constantly so as not to bore those uninterested in typical historical fiction novels, but still contains aspects familiar to the genre. This novel will be endearing to moms interested in heartfelt family stories and exciting for those interested in history.

Books For Your Dad:

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver

Kingsolver’s book recently won the Pulitzer Prize, so this is a sure-to-please classic. The novel follows Demon, an Appalachia native, as he struggles with the opioid epidemic plaguing his home. Besides bringing attention to an important subject, the novel makes readers root for Demon and his exploits and is a masterclass in character building. This book is for a dad who wants to be aware of the latest releases and who wants to explore award-winning fiction.

“11/22/63” by Stephen King

King is a master at crafting suspense, but this novel is a little different. King’s magnum opus follows a time traveler as he tries to prevent the assassination of JFK, but its true heart lies in its engrossing romance. King is a familiar enough name to pique any dad’s interest, but the plot is unique enough to keep their attention sustained after unwrapping day. It’s also quite long, so it can occupy your dad until the next gift-giving holiday!

Books For Your Boyfriend:

“Good Omens” by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

“Good Omens” is a book that’s incredibly easy to read. It’s witty and hilarious, following an angel and demon duo attempting to stop the rise of the Antichrist — even though it’s kind of their fault that he’s out there in the first place. This novel is sure to please a boyfriend who is getting back into books or has hit a reading slump. The book also recently got adapted into a television series starring David Tennant, so you and your boyfriend can binge-watch the show together! (The Crimson even compared the show and the novel side-by-side earlier this fall.)

“SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome” by Mary Beard

With the recent Roman Empire trend, we have all gained a sudden understanding of what’s going on inside the brains of men. Apparently, the Roman Empire is on everyone’s mind, and there’s no better way to learn more about every history nerd’s hyper-fixation than through a good old-fashioned book. Beard’s book is the perfect way to connect with that special guy in your life through a shared interest.

Books For Your Girlfriend:

“Someone Else’s Shoes” by Jojo Moyes

Jojo Moyes, the author behind “Me Before You,” can make anybody fall in love with her characters. This book takes on the classic life-swap trope and tightly balances humor, hope, and melancholy. It’s a comforting novel for a girlfriend who has a soft spot for cheesy, heartfelt books but doesn’t want yet another bland BookTok romance. Pair this gift with some chocolates or a soft blanket, and your girlfriend will be delighted to snuggle up reading!

“In Cold Blood” by Truman Capote

This one is for the true crime girlies. Although a classic, some people might have missed out on Capote’s chilling portrait of a shocking crime committed in small-town America. This book is both suspenseful and scary in all of the best ways, telling a true story with flair and engrossing, masterful writing. If your girlfriend is interested in crime dramas or reality TV, or wants to get into nonfiction, get her this one!

Books For Your Cool Friend:

“Death in Her Hands” by Ottessa Moshfegh

The hardest people to shop for are the mysterious and cool friends in our lives, whom we want to impress with our book selections without seeming to try too hard. Moshfegh, with her oftentimes blasé main characters and strange plots, is the perfect pick for these types. “Death in Her Hands” is classic Moshfegh, following a woman entranced by a distressing note she finds in the woods. It’s bizarre in all the best ways, and will make your cool friend impressed by your good taste.

A Bonus Bookish Recommendation: A Custom Book Embosser

Book nerds love to accumulate personal libraries, and nothing will make a loved one feel fancier than a custom book embosser. This gift, which can be endlessly personalized, is perfect for someone who seems to have already read every book under the sun.

Hopefully, this list will stir up the gift-giving spirit and help you pick the best book for your loved ones. Happy holidays!

—Staff writer Hannah E. Gadway can be reached at hannah.gadway@thecrimson.com.

BooksArts