Essential Sunglasses for Enjoying Harvard’s Two Weeks of Sunshine

A variety of sunglasses for sale in New York City.
A variety of sunglasses for sale in New York City. By Joel Zimmer / Wikimedia Commons
By Daniel P. Pinckney, Contributing Writer

After months of dreary Boston winter, the sun seems to have once again emerged from behind the clouds. With brighter days, it’s time to consider packing up the winter hats and scarves and getting out the summer accessories. Whether that includes sun hats, sundresses, or sunscreen, the warmer weather is almost certainly here to stay (for now). The most important sun accessory, however, has to be sunglasses. Equal parts practical and stylish, the right pair of sunglasses top off a warm weather outfit like nothing else.

With different frames for every vibe, it can be hard to find one pair that goes with everything. That’s why it’s so important to embrace the variety of sunglasses and bring new styles to any closet. Here are a few absolutely essential sunglasses everyone should have on hand to take any spring outfit to the next level.

Wayfarers

Flattering for almost every face, these frames are iconic for good reason. Their classic, timeless shape makes them a go-to for any occasion. Sitting by the river doing readings for class? Wayfarers. Enjoying a beach wedding just before sunset? Wayfarers. Feeling groggy on a pre-class Buckminster’s run? Wayfarers.

Skinny Sunglasses

Trendy and fresh, skinny sunglasses show off a playfulness that few other styles can match. While they’re not the most functional frames for sun protection, their disregard for practicality brings a nonchalant and fun aesthetic to any outfit they might be worn with. In this case, fashion might actually trump function.

Tortoiseshell Clubmasters

Clubmasters capture the best of both worlds with an acetate upper rim and a wire lower rim. Both lightweight and serious, there’s a reason these glasses are still popular nearly 80 years after their invention. A pair of these can be taken up a notch by opting for tortoiseshell plastic, adding an air of refinement to these versatile frames. Pair them with a sophisticated outfit to get that timeless, classy look.

Mirror Sunglasses

These polarized lenses are perfect for training for the Boston Marathon and Head of the Charles, blocking out sun and wind at the same time. These sunglasses alone push the limits of human athletic potential — or telltale signs of the biggest darty of the year happening. There is simply no in-between when wearing these shades.

Wire-frame Sunglasses

A lightweight choice, wire-frame sunglasses allow the rest of an outfit to shine without sacrificing actual sun protection. Available in a wide range of metals and shapes, there’s bound to be a pair that reflects every style. One might “Imagine” — pun intended — a pair of circular gold ones to be a great investment.

Sports sunglasses

Be prepared for anything with these sunglasses. Whether the day contains white-water rafting, coaching the T-ball team, running to class, or all of the above, a pair of these can handle it all. What dad sneakers did for shoe culture, these frames can do for sunglasses — someday. Whether worn for their practical uses or their camp factor, these frames can do anything.

Aviators

When someone says sunglasses, everyone thinks Aviators. Their wide lenses and thin wire frames provide great eye coverage without sacrificing the view. This combination of factors has made these sunglasses the standard to which all others aspire. That and a healthy heaping of nostalgia — thanks, Maverick.

ArtsCulture