Diane Metcalf Appointed as Director of Development for Harvard Athletics

Diane Metcalf will serve as Harvard Athletics' next director of development.
Diane Metcalf will serve as Harvard Athletics' next director of development. By Timothy R. O'Meara
By Jo B. Lemann and Tyler J.H. Ory, Crimson Staff Writers

Diane Metcalf will lead Harvard Athletics’ future fundraising initiatives as the department’s next director of development, Athletics Director Erin McDermott announced on Monday.

Metcalf, who previously worked at Harvard as assistant director of athletics and associate athletic director from 2003 to 2009, returns to the University after working in roles at Merrimack College and the University of New Hampshire.

“We are thrilled to welcome Diane back to Harvard,” McDermott said in a press release. She added that Metcalf will play a “critical” role in providing an “excellent student-athlete experience.”

McDermott said Metcalf’s own experience as a gymnast at the University of Michigan, where she served as captain of the team, gives her a unique insight into the student-athlete experience.

“Diane’s background in athletics and having been a student-athlete gives her terrific perspective and she is a true believer in the Ivy League model,” McDermott added. “I am excited about our work together.”

Beth Thompson, assistant dean of development for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, said in the press release that her office is “thrilled to welcome Diane as leader of our growing development efforts.”

Thompson said that Metcalf “brings a wealth of knowledge” from her time as a student-athlete, and her professional background in collegiate athletics programs and fundraising.

In her previous role at Harvard as an Assistant Director of Athletics, Metcalf conducted the first “incentivized-based annual alumnae giving program” which resulted in donations of $1,000 tripling over four years.

Peter L. Malkin ’55, a real estate investor and a major donor to Harvard Athletics, said Metcalf’s past experience makes her a good pick for the role.

“It sounds like she has a terrific background in both personal athletics and athletic administration in several colleges,” Malkin said.

Malkin added that he hopes Metcalf will focus on supporting more than varsity athletic teams in her new role.

“What’s really special about Harvard is the broad range of athletic opportunity,” Malkin said. “Everybody who goes to Harvard, who works for Harvard, who teaches at Harvard, has an opportunity to participate in sports, and athletics, and exercise.”

“I would hope that in her new position, she would focus on that as well as on team sports,” he added.

Metcalf’s appointment comes as Harvard gift officers have said they are worried about donor backlash following Harvard’s response to the Israel-Hamas war and concerns about anti-semitism on campus.

Several longtime donors to Harvard cut ties with the University since Oct. 7, including Leonard V. Blavatnik, a billionaire philanthropist and a major donor to Harvard Medical School.

Malkin said that while he is worried about free speech at Harvard, these concerns won’t impact his donations to Harvard Athletics.

“I think that there are serious issues with regard to academic standards, and civility standards, and free speech at Harvard,” Malkin said.

Still, Malkin said that those concerns “have no effect on my support for Harvard Athletics.”

As a member of the FAS development office, Metcalf will work closely with Thompson in her new role.

“I am confident that she will play a leading role in nurturing the strong partnerships with Erin, the entire Athletics Department, donors, and volunteers that are critical to supporting Harvard’s student-athletes and student wellness on campus,” Thompson said in the press release.

—Staff writer Jo B. Lemann can be reached at jo.lemann@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @Jo_Lemann.

—Staff writer Tyler J.H. Ory can be reached at tyler.ory@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X at @tyler_ory.

FASDepartment of AthleticsSports AdministrationFeatured ArticlesAthletic Director