Arts List: Your Guide to the Best Contemporary Rom-Coms this February

Valentine's Day themed film reel.
Valentine's Day themed film reel. By Angel Zhang
By Lydia H Fraser, Contributing Writer

Valentine’s Day has already happened, and whether you’re single, taken, or deciding if you should end things with your situationship, the romantic comedy genre is for everyone. However, often it feels like rom-coms are a dying art. The romantic comedies of today cannot seem to live up to the legacy of those from the early 2000s. However, you may just have been searching in the wrong places. Lucky for you, that is true no longer! So while it may be tempting to watch “10 Things I Hate About You” for the tenth time, here is a curated list of contemporary rom-coms you might find to be worthy of your time this Valentine’s, written by a certified rom-com connoisseur.

Always Be My Maybe” Dir. Nahnatchkha Khan (2019)

Set against the backdrop of San Francisco’s vibrant culinary scene, “Always Be My Maybe” tells the story of childhood sweethearts Sasha and Marcus, played by “Beef” actress Ali Wong and “Fresh Off the Boat” actor Randall Park. As they traverse through the complexities of adulthood, the two attempt to rekindle a flame that never quite went out. With a guest appearance from Keanu Reeves (playing Keanu Reeves), this movie incorporates incredible wit, charm, and parody. So grab your popcorn, heat up your favorite ramen, and get ready to fall head over heels this Valentine’s: “Always Be My Maybe” is the romantic comedy you’ll want to watch again and again.

“Set It Up” Dir. Claire Scanlon (2018)

Claire Scanlon’s iconic “Set It Up” is the perfect film for the Valentine’s vibes. This rom-com, filled with clever wit and slightly chaotic characters, follows two overworked assistants — Zoey Deutch and Glenn Powell — who, in an attempt to lighten their workload, set up their demanding bosses. Whether it’s the chill of the winter or the desire for a heartwarming and entertaining film, Scanlon’s movie perfectly captures the lightheartedness and charm of an early rom-com. It also features the iconic Lucy Liu, so there’s not much more that can make this movie better.

“Rye Lane” Dir. Raine Allen-Miller (2023)

Raine Allen-Miller’s feature directorial debut, “Rye Lane,” titled after the actual Rye Lane Market in Peckham, is the perfect feel-good movie for your dose of romance on Valentine’s. In South London, two strangers have a chance encounter when one discovers the other crying over their ex in a bathroom. Both having recently been through breakups, Yas and Dom spend the day around London helping one another with their respective ex troubles, naturally getting to know each other better as a result. It will be ridiculously difficult not to smile at this heart wrenchingly adorable and grossly underrated film. Its clever and unique cinematography brings about a refreshing portrayal of everyday interactions and retrospective reflections.

“Bottoms” Dir. Emma Seligman (2023)

“Bottoms” encompasses the spirit of a 2000s teen comedy — but queer. With a stellar ensemble cast and Emma Seligman’s expert direction, “Bottoms” brings its characters to life in a way that feels refreshingly authentic despite its absurdist humor. This film, starring the beloved Rachel Sennott and Ayo Edebiri, flips the script on common teen comedy tropes. It follows PJ and Josie — two unpopular high schoolers who make the wise decision to start a self-defense club in the name of “female empowerment” — so they can hook up with the two most popular girls in school. The dimensionality of the characters add depth to the storytelling, creating a cinematic experience that lingers long after the credits roll. If you’re looking for a tongue-in-cheek movie that does not take itself too seriously, “Bottoms” is the one for you.

“Palm Springs” Dir. Max Barbakow (2020)

Max Barbakow’s “Palm Springs” is a surreal and time-bending production that is sure to leave a mark in this era of rom-coms. Join Nyles and Sarah, two unlikely companions trapped in a seemingly endless time loop at a Palm Springs wedding. What unfolds is a brilliantly crafted story that seamlessly combines joy, poignancy, and a dash of existential contemplation. Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti deliver comedic brilliance with impeccable timing. Their onscreen chemistry is electric, bringing the characters to life in a way that is both relatable and hilarious. “Palm Springs” should be a quintessential watch for this holiday.

“Plus One” Dir. Andrew Rhymer and Jeff Chan (2019)

If friends-to-lovers is your trope of choice, then Andrew Rhymer and Jeff Chan’s “Plus One” is right up your alley. When longtime friends Ben and Alice find themselves both single during a chaotic wedding season, they agree to be each other’s plus one at every wedding they’re invited to. Fans of “PEN15” may find a familiar face in Alice — and to those who aren’t, welcome to the world of Maya Erskine. From awkward encounters to unexpected dance floor escapades, “Plus One” balances humor and heart with precision to give you the ideal romance on this love-filled day.

FilmArts