‘That’s the Miracle’: OpenAI CEO Sam Altman Talks Undergrad Years, Future of AI at Harvard Event

Harvard Corporation Discusses Gay’s Testimony, Donor Revolt in FAS Town Hall

Harvard Hall Final Exam Locations Changed as Harvard Yard Encampment Enters Second Week

Amid Encampment, Cambridge City Council Discusses Resolution Supporting Student Right to Protest

Harvard Corporation to Review Presidential Search Process as Faculty Demand Transparency

‘We’re Here’: Putting Together a Queer Comeback

Hosts from season four of "We're Here."
Hosts from season four of "We're Here." By Courtesy of Greg Endries/HBO
By Ria S. Cuellar-Koh, Crimson Staff Writer

In the face of increasing drag bans and anti-trans legislation, HBO’s “We’re Here” has never been more prescient. With these volatile culture wars in mind, the Emmy and Peabody award-winning show returns for its fourth season with new hosts and new urgency. On April 17, creators and hosts from the show sat down at a roundtable discussion with The Harvard Crimson and reporters from across the country.

For the new season, drag queens Jaida Essence Hall, Latrice Royale, Priyanka, and Sasha Velour take up the mantle from previous hosts Bob the Drag Queen, Eureka O’Hara, and Shangela. Among the other changes made to the format, the show only focuses on Tennessee and Oklahoma for the entire season rather than new states and cities every episode.

Show creators Stephen Warren and Johnnie Ingram said that this change in format was a necessity to “tell more in-depth stories” of “truly representative” people that depict the increased impact of anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination. Furthermore, the choice of Tennessee and Oklahoma as subjects allow for laser focus on “hotbeds” of anti-drag legislation. Filming in these locations came with added safety concerns for the queens — further proving the show’s necessity. Ingram stated that confrontations between the queens and locals were “unlike anything we’ve ever experienced” and were even “at times terrifying.” Host Jaida Essence Hall referenced how visiting government buildings that were meant to function as a “sanctuary” instead felt quite unsafe.

“I was surprised by, when we went to the State House, how many people in a government official building could just actively be so hateful,” Hall said.

At the same time, filming the fourth season forged beautiful connections among the show’s cast, for both Queens and their drag mentees alike. Priyanka said that the experience allowed the cast to become “like a family” putting together a “celebration” rather than just a performance. Furthermore, Royale said that sharing life lessons about femininity and joy that she had learned from drag was particularly rewarding.

Beyond these individual relationships, interactions with the broader community validated the cast as many times as they offended. Royale spoke of how even in settings like a Oklahoman motorcycle bar, she ended up in a surprisingly fun and accepting environment. Priyanka echoed this sentiment.

“When we were accepted — which happened more often than hate, to be honest with you — that was always shocking,” she said.

As for the transition between hosts, the Queens spoke to how they maintained continuity by following in the empathetic example of their predecessors while still sharing their unique perspective. Royale mentioned how her friendship with previous hosts like Bob the Drag Queen allowed her to both understand their individuality as well as their lasting impact on people’s lives. While the previous hosts’ impact provided a model, Priyanka said she never felt pressure to mimic them.

“I think just by making sure that we go in and we move into these spaces open, honest, being very empathetic and willing to understand the people within that space — that was the best way to honor the memory of them and the work that they did on the show,” Hall said.

Season four of “We’re Here” balances its seriousness with moments of levity. Thanks to the community both behind the camera and in front of it, the final product presents a glorious celebration of queer life.

Ingram said that one benefit of just the filming process was normalizing LGBTQ+ visibility in rural locations through the mere presence of the production’s cast and crew. Furthermore, the presence of a vast makeup and costuming team supporting the drag mentee allows for vibrant community connections on every level of show creation.

“It’s not just for the LGBT community. It’s educational, it’s fun, it’s entertaining, and we really, by design, want everyone to watch. It’s for families! You can sit with us. That’s the message,” Ingram said.

Season four of “We’re Here” certainly embodies Ingram’s statement. Between the diverse cast, encouraging hosts, and positive communal messages, “We’re Here” is a party for everyone to attend and enjoy.

ArtsTV