Around the Ivies

Around the Ivies: One of These Schools is Not Like the Others

October 10, 2014

Cornell does not belong in the Ivy League. 

Actually, let me back up for a second.

Read more

Penn-Dartmouth Headlines Weekend of Ivy League Play

October 03, 2014

Efficiency. I’m a fan.

So with the University administration asking for student thoughts on the General Education program and fans wondering about the state of the Ivy League, I figured I would help both at the same time.

Read more

Crimson Fireworks Expected in Providence

September 26, 2014

The Harvard football team’s road trip to Brown can go wrong for the Crimson in one of three foreseeable ways.

1. While in Providence, senior quarterback Conner Hempel falls in love with [indie band you haven’t heard of] before Saturday night’s game, shaves half his head, gets a nose ring, and vows to devote no more time to mainstream frivolities like playing football.

Read more

Yale, Handsome Dan Stand in Way of Tournament Berth

March 07, 2014

It won’t be The Game in New Haven this Friday, but it will be something close.

On the last weekend of Ivy League play, Harvard heads to Yale with the opportunity to celebrate a third straight championship. The Bulldogs need to win twice and hope Harvard drops Saturday’s game in Providence to force a playoff. The first step will come at the Payne Whitney Gymnasium, where the Bulldogs will have a chance to sweep the season series against Harvard. Unlike the football version, I expect better fans than Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels to attend Friday’s all-important game.

Read more

Ancient Eight Prepares for Stretch Run, Senior Days

February 28, 2014

Two weeks are left in Ivy League play, which means a couple of things. At Harvard, we are stuck in the romantic abyss between Valentine’s Day and the Owl lawn party, with midterms rising as spring break waits—like a bright Cancun beach—on the horizon. For Princeton and Penn, ’tis the season for championship runs. In a single 40-year run,  one or the other won the league 37 times, making the Yale-Harvard football rivalry (with just three similar finishes) a footnote by comparison. Every year, the two face off in the final game of the Ivy League season, with a championship often on the line.

But, for all the hype, Penn and Princeton’s championship hopes have become a lot like River Run. Both were once great, but sterling Harvard youth have put an end to these shenanigans. With its sweep of the pair last weekend, the Crimson moved to 4-0 on the year against its two main rivals.

Read more

Data Sculpture
Visual Arts

Painting by the Numbers: Data Visualization

School at School
Columns

What We Forget About School: School

Head of the Charles
Men's Crew

Head of the Charles 2014

CS50 in Mather
Columns

CS50 and the Humanities