Harvard Today: February 27, 2014

Harvard Today
Harvard Today

By Madeline R. Lear

It’s Thursday, and we all know what that means-- Throwback Thursday! This week in 1962, two thousand copies of The Harvard Crimson were distributed at UPenn when its Student Government Association decided to suspend its student-run newspaper, The Daily Pennsylvanian, following an argument between the two groups.

A formal statement from UPenn said that the suspension was a result of “irresponsible journalism” and “irresponsible use of University funds.” The Daily Pennsylvanian had recently come out with a parody of a women’s activity weekly. This resulted in the Brown Daily Herald, the Columbia Spectator, and the Crimson coming together to protest the suspension.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Ok, so the promised snow didn’t come yesterday, but I think I can safely speak for everyone that we’re all sick of it right now anyway. No surprise that it will still be very cold today, so bundle up! The high is 31 degrees and for those of you with evening plans, it’s going to be a chilling 8 degrees.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Classic Kotopoulo Yiouvetsi: Chicken Casserole with Orzo
Philly Cheese Steak Sub
Ethiopian Vegetable Stew

Dinner:
Cajun Salmon
Mesquite Rotisserie Chicken
Savory Baked Tofu

IN THE NEWS
1) A Year After Scandal, Task Force Recommends University-wide Privacy Policy for Electronic Information: “The Electronic Communications Policy Task Force announced by University President Drew G. Faust in April 2013 has recommended a single, University-wide policy governing any future access to communication housed on Harvard networks that would require careful record-keeping and be subject to oversight by a committee that would include faculty members.”

2) Integrity Committee Will Recommend Ad Board Sanctions Review: “If [the recommendation were] implemented...the honor code would establish an ‘honor board’ to hear academic integrity cases, with half of the seats on the board occupied by students and the other half occupied by faculty members and administrators.”

ON FLYBY
3) If Housing Day Videos Were Honest: Suggestions for what some houses’ Housing Day videos should look like in reality!

IN FM
4) Gus Mayopoulos: Comedian-in-Chief: Read about our UC president and how he went from his joke campaign with Sam B. Clark ‘15 to asking President Drew Faust for $250,000 in annual funding.

EVENTS
The OCS is having a Resume Writing for Freshmen 101 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on 54 Dunster Street. Register through Crimson Careers to attend.

Jazz legend Herbie Hancock is having his third lecture, titled Cultural Diplomacy and the Voice of Freedom, as a part of his 6-part Norton Lecture series today at 4 p.m. in Sanders Theater. Tickets are available at Sanders Theater starting from 12 p.m.

Ghungroo 2014, a showcase of the culture of South Asia, kicks off its first show this weekend tonight at 7 p.m. in Agassiz Theater. Buy tickets for $15 here.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
As one of his first initiatives as UC president, Gus A. Mayopoulos '15 tried to request $250,000 from University President Drew Faust for increased student activities funding. He and UC vice president Sietse K. Goffard '15 organized a rally outside Massachusetts Hall for students to gather and hear from leaders of other student organizations about the importance of a budget increase. Right before the UC 250K rally, Mayopoulos smears hair gel off of Goffard's forehead.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.