Harvard Today: November 4, 2015

•
By Jessica M. Wang

Hey Harvard, it’s Wednesday and we’re halfway through this week already, for better or for worse. On this day in 1960, at the Kasakela Chimpanzee Community in Tanzania, Dr. Jane Goodall observed chimpanzees creating tools, the first-ever observation in non-human animals.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be slightly cooler than the day before, with highs of 64 and lows of 48.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Red Spiced Chicken Breast

Greek Pizza on Multigrain Crust

Roasted Spicy Potatoes

Dinner:

Grilled Citrus Chicken

Memphis Style Pork Ribs

Seitan Pepper Steak

IN THE NEWS

Faculty Hear Emerging Details on Renewed Gen Ed Program

For the first time Tuesday, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences together heard emerging details of what a renewed program in General Education could look like in the aftermath of last semester’s release of a report that deemed the College’s foundational curriculum “failing on a variety of fronts.”

In Fisher Amicus Brief, Harvard Defends Race-Based Affirmative Action

Harvard filed an amicus curiae brief in the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court affirmative action case Fisher vs. University of Texas at Austin on Tuesday, putting forth an impassioned defense of race-based affirmative action.

ON FLYBY

Flyby Reviews: “Haunted Hall” in Annenberg

Overall, we deem the event a success. Thanks, Harvard!

Flyby Matchmaker is Back: Spicing it up in Spice?

The much-awaited Flyby Matchmaker has returned, and it has united two unwitting juniors on a date. Read more about it!

EVENTS

Come discuss Crisis Communications with Doug Heye, former Chief of Staff of Communications under Eric Cantor and former Director of Communications for the RNC, and special guest Rob Godfrey, Deputy Chief of Staff of Communications and External Affairs for Governor Nikki Haley This event will be in the IOP in room L166 from 4-5:30 p.m.

The Harvard College Women’s Center is hosting “Let’s Talk: Consent: Teaching Beyond a Violation.” Meera Seshadri, public health professional and Associate Director of the Office of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response (OSAPR), will facilitate an honest discussion about the tools we need to explore ourselves and each other, and the critical role this plays in changing our culture. This event will be in the Women’s Center from 6:30-8:00 p.m.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.