A comment may be removed, without notice to the commenter, if any of its content meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Comments that are excessively long, irrelevant, or off-topic. Examples include, but are not limited to, spam, advertisements, and gibberish.
- Excessive or unnecessary profanity, obscenity, or words that are racist, sexist, homophobic, or hateful in some other way.
- Threats or encouragement of violence and/or other illegal behavior.
- Disclosure of personal and private information about any individual, including (but not limited to) the writer of the piece or the writer of another comment.
- The comment is written under the name or username of an individual other than the author of the comment.
If the comment policy is repeatedly violated on a single article, discussions on that article may be closed. If a commenter repeatedly violates the policy, whether on one or multiple articles, that commenter may be banned from making further comments on thecrimson.com. The application of this policy, including decisions to delete comments, close commenting, or ban commenters, is at the discretion of the moderator.