Editorials

Preparing for the Worst

Why the admissions lawsuit necessitates financial caution

By Caleb D. Schwartz
By The Crimson Editorial Board
This staff editorial solely represents the majority view of The Crimson Editorial Board.

A week after the conclusion of the Harvard admissions trial, it is important to recognize that once-hidden details brought to light in court may have profound effects on University donations. The rather unsurprising revelation that children of major donors get a leg up in the admissions process — a practice that we oppose — could spur more donations from those willing, or a decrease due to negative perceptions. For many experts, it is simply too early to predict what effect, if any, the lawsuit will have on giving.

Still, the University should prepare for the worst.

Fiscal responsibility is something that both former University President Drew G. Faust and current University President Lawrence S. Bacow have emphasized. In particular, Bacow has asked that Harvard schools engage in “scenario planning” for when the next economic recession comes. This emphasis is important, and one that should remain — the University’s ability to advance its mission should depend as little as possible on outside economic factors.

While it is unclear whether or not the admissions trial’s impact on donations will become a significant concern for Harvard’s budget, the University should continue — as it has in the past — to err on the side of caution.

In prepation for an eventuality in which Harvard sees a significant decrease in donations, Bacow will need to take precautionary measures. One method for which there is already precedent would be for Bacow to ask all Harvard schools to engage in further “scenario planning.” This strategy allows the University and the entities that comprise it to examine many different possibilities in depth, making it an effective strategy at preparing for worst-case scenarios. Strategic planning in the present can also allow Harvard administrators to see a wider range of future possibilities. This allows those in power to more effectively take advantage of opportunities that arise in the present. In turn, administrators can prepare the University for the unexpected.

Despite our caution, we remain hopeful that alumni will continue donating and giving back to Harvard. No matter how they might feel about Harvard’s stance in this trial or the court’s verdict, we hope that alumni’s devotion to their alma mater will drive them to continue supporting current students.

This staff editorial is the product of discussions at regular Editorial Board meetings. In order to ensure the impartiality of our journalism, Crimson editors who choose to opine and vote at these meetings are not involved in the reporting of articles on similar topics.

Editorials