Editorials

Cambridge in a New Lane

By Quinn G. Perini
By The Crimson Editorial Board
This staff editorial solely represents the majority view of The Crimson Editorial Board.

Two weeks ago, the Cambridge City Council passed the Cycling Safety Ordinance, new legislation that plans to make the city safer for cyclists. The law will create a 20-mile network of bicycle lanes and set in motion a five-year sidewalk and street construction plan. Bicycle safety activists have hailed this groundbreaking project as an important step forward.

From 2010 to 2014, Cambridge was the site of an average of 184 accidents per year involving cyclists with no indication of a potential decline. Most of these cyclists did not sustain serious injuries, but many suffered “incapacitating” injuries and some crashes in the past have proved fatal. These accidents demonstrate a clear need for improved bicycle safety regulations, especially as bicycle ridership continues to increase overall.

The City Council’s to establish a plan to increase bike safety is commendable. The city has acted decisively and novelly to address the problem of cycling accidents, setting an example for cities across the country. We are proud of Cambridge for taking these innovative steps in the interest of its citizens.

As it stands, cyclists may not feel particularly safe in Cambridge. And Harvard students are no exception. Indeed, the most dangerous stretch of road for cyclists in the Boston area is Massachusetts Avenue between Columbia and Trowbridge Street — which runs directly in the direction of Harvard Square.

Hopefully the Cycling Safety Ordinance will lead to fewer accidents and make residents and Harvard students more comfortable cycling around the city. We are optimistic that if these regulations are successful, it will encourage other cities to follow Cambridge’s lead.

Though this legislation is impressive, the City Council should remain vigilant against inequitable implementation. The new plan needs to reflect the geographic landscape of Cambridge’s socioeconomic diversity. New bike lanes and new protections for bikers should benefit all members of the city, especially since wealthier residents have more available alternatives for transportation.

It’s worth noting that the Cycling Safety Ordinance was a collaboration between the City Council and local advocacy group Cambridge Bicycle Safety. We commend the hard work of the organization to make demonstrative change in the community and blaze a trail for productive collaboration between the city and non-profit groups. And we laud the city residents — some of whom include Harvard students — who sacrificed their time to make this collaboration possible.

As increased bicycle use continues to offset the toll cars and other motor vehicles take on our environment, as well as make for a more active community, we are glad we can look to the Cambridge City Council and Cambridge residents for leadership on making our urban environments more accessible and safe for cyclists.

This staff editorial solely represents the majority view of The Crimson Editorial Board. It is the product of discussions at regular Editorial Board meetings. In order to ensure the impartiality of our journalism, Crimson editors who choose to opine and vote at these meetings are not involved in the reporting of articles on similar topics.

Editorials