On ‘4 Thangs,’ Freddie Gibbs Takes a Victory Lap

Freddie Gibbs and Big Sean, collaborators on "4 Thangs"
By Ryan S. Kim, Contributing Writer

Basking in his personal success and the recent Lakers championship, Gibbs takes a victory lap with heavyweight assists from rapper Big Sean and producer Hit-Boy. “4 Thangs” is likely a reference to his last four albums, all of which were released to critical acclaim and are now considered classics. The track debuted with an NBA-themed music video that features Gibbs, Sean, and Hit-Boy in Lakers gear participating in post-championship celebrations.

All three members of the “4 Thangs” team are powerhouse artists with West Coast ties. Gibbs, originally from Gary, Indiana, has made Los Angeles his second home. He affirmed his allegiance to the West Coast on “Lakers,” the thirteenth track off his 2014 album “Piñata” which was produced by Madlib. Earlier this year, Gibbs released an album with legendary LA producer The Alchemist. Like Alchemist, Hit-Boy is one of the pre-eminent West Coast producers hailing from Fontana, California. He has production credits on some of the most significant rap albums of the last decade including the 2011 Jay-Z/Kanye West team-up “Watch the Throne” and Kendrick Lamar’s 2013 project “good kid, m.A.A.d city.” And Sean, who has regularly occupied the charts throughout his career, identifies his sound with Detroit, but was born in Santa Monica. On “4 Thangs,” the three artists constitute a West Coast power team.

The group’s collaboration is a kinetic celebration of rap dominance. Gibbs and Sean trade verses back and forth with dizzying speed and infectious confidence. With effortless delivery, Sean brags: “I give you the game, I don't play for the love of the game / I play for the rings.” Gibbs and Sean first appeared on the scene as part of the 2010 XXL Freshman Class, and and a decade later, the pair continue to be dominant forces in hip-hop and to bring out the very best in each other. Gibbs speaks on Sean’s success as one of the biggest rappers out of Detroit: “I fuck with Sean Don, he run the D like Barry Sanders.” In September, Sean’s latest album, “Detroit 2,” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart, ending Taylor Swift’s six-week run. For his work on Sean’s project and other collaborations, including an album with Griselda Records rapper Benny the Butcher, Hit-Boy won Producer of the Year at the 2020 BET Awards.

Hit-Boy’s hard-hitting, polished production is the perfect vehicle for the natural chemistry between Gibbs and Sean. Clocking in at just under two minutes, the track is more stripped down than Hit-Boy’s work on Sean’s album, but is still packed with swagger and flair. By placing an easy synth loop over the beat’s driving 808s, Hit-Boy creates the perfect vehicle for the pair’s braggadocious flow. A simpler beat allows the song to rise on the strength of Gibbs and Sean’s lyricism. The drums match up with the rappers’ energetic verses to throw an efficiently-packaged punch.

Marking the first collaboration between Hit-Boy and Gibbs, the track is a showcase of the latter’s stylistic diversity and an affirmation of his talent. Hit-Boy’s modern West Coast production is a departure from the ’90s era New York City beat-making on his two projects with Madlib and two albums with The Alchemist. Gibbs mainly exists within the throwback lane of hip-hop, frequently collaborating with the Buffalo-based label Griselda Records. In recent years, with Gibbs and Griselda as leaders, ’90s era rap has begun to reinfiltrate the mainstream. Yet, throughout his career, Gibbs has maintained a crossover appeal missing from his peers in the vintage underground. His 2018 album “Freddie” features production from current hip-hop go-to producer Kenny Beats, and a verse from incarcerated Watts rapper 03 Greedo. “4 Thangs” is a reminder of Gibbs’ capabilities as a five tool player. Showing off his ability to successfully run the gamut of rap subgenres, the single reminds listeners why Gibbs is one of the best in the game.

MusicArts