Harvard Undergraduate Association Allocates $5K to Senior Week Festivities

The Harvard Undergraduate Association holds weekly meetings on Sundays at 5 p.m. in Smith Campus Center's Riverview Commons Lounge.
The Harvard Undergraduate Association holds weekly meetings on Sundays at 5 p.m. in Smith Campus Center's Riverview Commons Lounge. By Addison Y. Liu
By Jonah C. Karafiol, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Undergraduate Association voted to allocate $5,000 to Senior Week during its weekly meeting Monday.

Senior Week, a weeklong celebration of graduating Harvard College seniors between final exams and Commencement, features events like Senior Olympics and Senior Barbecue. The proposal passed with nine in favor and one unopposed.

Athena Q. Ye ’23, Class of 2023 first marshal, said the festivities will cost a projected $200,000, adding that the 2023 Senior Class Committee has already attempted to lower costs.

“We’ve been trying everything we can to cut the expenses that aren’t exactly needed,” Ye said. “For example, almost none of our events have alcohol.”

Ye said the HUA’s funding would lower the cost of tickets by $10 and “move the needle for a lot of people.” Without the HUA’s assistance, Senior Week tickets would cost $175.

Tickets to Senior Week events are typically discounted for Student Events Fund-eligible undergraduates.

HUA Co-President Shikoh Misu Hirabayashi ’24 said while the request was larger than those for other social events, it will also reach a large portion of the student body.

“Some of you might think that $5,000 is a lot compared to our previous Fun Fund fundings. For example, Woodbridge Formal was like $1,000,” Hirabayashi said. “But I will just echo again: Senior Week, this is for all the seniors. This is for one-fourth of the entire school.”

Travis Allen Johnson ’24, former HUA co-president and current extracurricular officer, suggested covering 30 students’ tickets fully, rather than giving every senior a $10 discount.

“Do you think it’s better to subsidize the costs entirely of roughly 30 students than to give everyone a $10 discount, which is so marginal?” Johnson asked. “I’d argue it may not even be meaningful, versus covering the entire thing for 30 people.”

Ye said she would bring Johnson’s suggestion to the other marshals. Hirabayashi said the HUA could vote on allocating $5,000 immediately and then discuss how it would be distributed to students later.

HUA Co-President John S. Cooke ’25 said the body could discuss any increases to Senior Week funding at its next general meeting.

Cooke also announced Ejike Ike ’25 as technological director for the HUA executive team. The technological director is responsible for maintaining the HUA’s website and mailing lists, according to an application for the position.

“I’m extremely excited to help the HUA in any way I can this current term and do my best in my role,” Ike said during the meeting.

—Staff writer Jonah C. Karafiol can be reached at jonah.karafiol@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @jonahkarafiol.

CollegeSeniorsFront Middle FeatureFeatured ArticlesHarvard Undergraduate Association