Fourteen Seniors Selected as Harvard College Class of 2024 Marshals

Fez S. Zafar ’24, left, and Chibuikem C. “Chuby” Uche ’24 were announced as First and Second Marshal, respectively, for the Class of 2024 Friday.
Fez S. Zafar ’24, left, and Chibuikem C. “Chuby” Uche ’24 were announced as First and Second Marshal, respectively, for the Class of 2024 Friday. By Courtesy of Fez S. Zafar and Chibuikem C. “Chuby” Uche
By J. Sellers Hill, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard College Class of 2024 has elected eight senior class marshals, joining six appointed Harvard College Fund marshals to lead the Senior Class Committee, the school announced Friday.

The Senior Class Committee is responsible for organizing class-wide events leading up to Commencement exercises in May. The committee also plans post-graduation reunion events and coordinates certain fundraising efforts.

After two rounds of voting, which were open to all students in the Class of 2024, Fez S. Zafar ’24 and Chibuikem C. “Chuby” Uche ’24 were named First and Second Marshals, respectively.

Zafar said he is excited about the opportunity to facilitate bonding experiences for a class uniquely situated in Harvard’s history. The Class of 2024 spent their freshman year contending with isolation protocols and virtual instruction due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“We began our freshman year in circumstances that I don’t believe any other class at Harvard has had to experience,” Zafar said. “I think if you ask the average person in our class they will tell you that they don’t necessarily feel as connected to other members of the class as they would have under normal circumstances.”

“Even though we’ve had two or three years of normalcy since freshman year, I think people still feel like something is lacking,” he added.

Uche, who said he “screamed so loud” when he received word of his election, said he is excited to serve a class he feels has given him extensive support.

“The love and the energy they gave to me and supporting me throughout this time I’ve been here — I really want to give back and provide that same thing to my entire class and just make sure this experience and this Senior Week, and this entire senior year, is the most memorable and unforgettable experience,” he said.

Program Marshals, who place third through eighth in the election process, are tasked with organizing class and alumni activities.

Program Marshal Shruthi S. Kumar ’24 said her freshman year experience also weighed heavily on her decision to seek a spot on the Class Committee, as well as her desire to forge strong connections beyond her time on campus.

“I feel like Jefe’s was the Annenberg for our year,” Kumar said of the popular Harvard Square restaurant that students flocked to amid dining hall closures. “Especially starting even this year, I was running into and meeting so many seniors I hadn’t met before, and just inspired me to want to connect the senior class better.”

In addition to the eight marshals, six seniors were appointed Harvard College Fund marshals by the Harvard College Fund after an application and interview process.

In the coming weeks, the class marshals will interview candidates to make up the remainder of the Senior Class Committee: the secretary, treasurer, media team, and house representatives.

The full list of seniors selected as members of the Senior Class Committee is below:

—Staff writer J. Sellers Hill can be reached at sellers.hill@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @SellersHill.

CollegeStudent LifeCommencementFront FeatureFeatured Articles