Boston Underground Film Festival Returns

The Boston Underground Film Festival is returning for its 24th year.
The Boston Underground Film Festival is returning for its 24th year. By Courtesy of the Boston Underground Film Festival
By J.J. Moore, Crimson Staff Writer

The Boston Underground Film Festival (BUFF) kicks off at The Brattle Theater this Wednesday, March 20, with its usual avant garde and horror fare. From indie ambient slashers and bloody nuns to cryptic dark comedies, this festival has films in mind for all audiences.

The faceless monster of "In a Violent Nature" stands threateningly in the distance.
The faceless monster of "In a Violent Nature" stands threateningly in the distance. By Courtesy of the Boston Underground Film Festival

“In a Violent Nature” is a new indie slasher and Sundance-hit that will be making its New England Premiere here. The film, completely shot from the perspective of the murderer, follows the resurrection and violence of an undead, faceless monster. If viewers are fans of classic slasher films like “Friday the 13th” and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” then this movie is right for you.

Sydney Sweeney as Cecilia in her newest film, "Immaculate."
Sydney Sweeney as Cecilia in her newest film, "Immaculate." By Courtesy of the Boston Underground Film Festival

Sydney Sweeney’s “Immaculate” will hit general theaters just a week after its opening at BUFF. This film has been a decade in the making and will be opening the festival. “Immaculate” follows an American nun who joins a secluded convent in the Italian countryside. Her arrival sets in motion a chain of events that lead to the discovery of dark, unimaginable terrors lurking within the convent’s walls.

Many films will be having their first showing at BUFF including “Strange Kindness,” “With Love and a Major Organ,” “Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person,” and “Tiger Stripes.” The festival will be showing new films every night that audiences will not want to miss.

These upcoming films are all features that audiences may want to be on the lookout for this coming week and get a first glance before the rest of the world does. In addition to long form films, they will also be showing six impressive short films — one of which is even a music video.

Many of the films that come out of this festival end up having theatrical releases that are well received throughout the summer, including “The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster” (2023), “Pin Cushion” (2018), and many more.

This year promises to be as exciting and worthwhile as in the past, presenting a great opportunity to get an early view of what could be some of 2024’s biggest indie hits. Tickets are available at The Brattle Theater or online. They will be showing films until Sunday, March 24.

—Staff writer J.J. Moore can be reached at jj.moore@thecrimson.com.

FilmArtsMetro Arts