Snow Strippers Concert Review: An Electroclash and EDM Revival

Snow Strippers performed at the Crystal Ballroom on April 1.
Snow Strippers performed at the Crystal Ballroom on April 1. By A. Skye Schmiegelow
By Camilla J. Martinez, Crimson Staff Writer

Detroit-based electropop duo Snow Strippers incited unlikely chaos for a Monday evening as they took the stage for a sold-out show at the Crystal Ballroom in Somerville on April 1. The duo, composed of Tatiana Schwaninger and Graham Perez, delivered a sonic experience steeped in digitized melodies and video game-esque sound effects.

DRES, a dynamic collaboration between damon r. and Extra Small, opened the show with an electric remix of “Attention” by Charlie Puth. As they transitioned into “bf847,” their energy surged and the crowd picked up, complemented by a flashing backdrop featuring a seemingly out-of-context edit of Justin and Hailey Bieber. Their angst-filled teenage vocals reverberated through the room but sometimes landed indecipherably, unevenly distributed behind the densely layered programmed beats. Despite their lack of polished stage presence, the band’s quirky dance moves and distinctive sound relayed their eccentric energy, warming up the crowd for the performance to follow.

Snow Strippers kicked off the concert with “Just Your Doll,” a fan-favorite single off the album “Night Killaz Vol. 1.” With boosted bass, Perez’s experimental synths, and Schwaninger’s obscured vocals, the duo danced around the stage, hyping up the audience as they began their energetic set. Transitioning seamlessly into more instrumental tracks like “Hurt So Good,” each song blended into the next, the energy in the pit amplifying with each transition.

The energy in the pit amplified with each transition.
The energy in the pit amplified with each transition. By A. Skye Schmiegelow

Schwaninger and Perez ignited the stage, enveloped in vibrant strobe lights synced to Perez’s pulsating beats. Schwaninger animatedly bounced back and forth on stage as she yelled into the mic. Meanwhile, Perez seamlessly transitioned from behind his DJ booth, emerging at the climax of each song as the charismatic hype man. Bumping around while enthusiastically fist-pumping and wrist flicking, the duo fed off of each other’s raucous energy and filled the stage.

Repetitive visuals reminiscent of a DIY suburban teen aesthetic flashed behind them as they performed “Under Your Spell,” another beloved single from their album “April Mixtape 3.” Schwaninger and Perez kept the energy playful throughout the hypnotizing, repetitive chorus. At times, the concert resembled more of a listening party, given the electronic vocals on their tracks that couldn’t be replicated live. But the energy remained electric and unhinged, with the tightly packed crowd moshing as Perez spammed gunshot and airhorn sound effects from his DJ booth.

A highlight of the night was their performance of “It’s A Dream,” featuring Lil Uzi Vert. The transition into the track sent the crowd into a euphoric frenzy of screams and jumps as they sang along to every word. As the duo announced their final song, “Just a Hint,” fans threw all of their remaining energy into the mosh pit, sustaining the chaotic energy until the very last moment.

Snow Strippers undeniably channels the essence of the 2000s and 2010s.
Snow Strippers undeniably channels the essence of the 2000s and 2010s. By A. Skye Schmiegelow

Snow Strippers undeniably channels the essence of the 2000s and 2010s, blending nostalgic sounds and visuals with their own distinctive experimental flair. Their raw, digitized sound captures the essence of the underground electronic music scene, drawing in a dedicated and rapidly expanding fanbase.

—Staff writer Camilla J. Martinez can be reached at camilla.martinez@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @camillajinm.

MusicArtsMetro Arts