‘A Gentleman in Moscow’ Premiere Review: A Grand Opening Sets the Stage for a Charming Drama

By Erlisa Demneri, Crimson Staff Writer

“A Gentleman in Moscow” is a unique story of survival, set in a luxurious hotel. Adapted from the 2016 novel of the same name by Amor Towles, the series follows Count Alexander Rostov (Ewan McGregor) and his house arrest in the Metropol Hotel following the Russian October Revolution of 1917. The Paramount+ limited series’s premiere episode, “A Master of Circumstance,” is a touching and engaging beginning that cements a star performance from its lead and raises expectations for growing supporting storylines.

“A Master of Circumstance” does one thing exceptionally well: building its main character, Count Rostov. The aristocrat is a master of the arts and fine dining, yet he finds himself unwelcomed by a changing society. The script uses small moments to showcase Rostov’s knowledge, such as when he recognizes the musical note from his attic bed creaking, or when he identifies the spices used in his dinner through taste alone. Even though party officials constantly and silently observe him inside the hotel, Rostov appears strong and determined in the premiere, intent on never letting himself falter.

Internally disturbed yet externally confident, this complex character comes to life through an exceptional performance by Ewan McGregor. As shots stay focused on his face, the actor manages to exhibit the conflicting feelings inside Rostov, coming off as both powerful and emotionally affecting. Through shaky motions, the camera shadows Rostov too, becoming a visual representation of his crumbling reality.

Rostov’s present day is contrasted with flashbacks from his past and childhood. In these scenes, the show’s aspect ratio changes to square shots filmed under a grainy, vintage filter. The memories contain little dialogue and allude to past relationships, which are both idyllic and disturbing. The use of flashbacks efficiently plants secrets and storylines for discovery as the show progresses. At the same time, Rostov’s memories present a hidden facet of an otherwise amiable and respectful man.

McGregor is supported by various worthy performances in the premiere. Paul Ready stars as a fallen Russian prince, whose completed arc in the first episode tugs at the viewer’s heartstrings and reminds the audience of the violence present in Rostov’s time. Newcomer Alexa Goodall plays the inquisitive and playful Nina Kulikova, a young girl fascinated by royalty and Rostov’s past, whose relationship with the latter will likely develop in the following episodes.

However, there is some disconnect between the performances and the show’s setting. The actors all have British accents, and, while that may contribute to the posh and historical feel, it makes it difficult to remember the show is set in Russia. Still, the accents don’t take away from an engaging and competent cast.

“A Master of Circumstance” presents the case for a familiar premise: a period drama similar to many beloved BBC shows, such as “Parade’s End” and “North & South.” Well-produced and visibly high-quality, the episode pays special attention to establishing the atmosphere of the series and its main setting — the magnificent Metropol Hotel. Rooms and halls are lavishly decorated, and the classical soundtrack is efficiently utilized to bring gravity to different scenes. Just shy of fifty minutes, the premiere is an immersive origin story that can rightfully stand as a complete film on its own.

The first episode of “A Gentleman in Moscow” is a tale of adaptation, an attempt at stability during a tumultuous turn of events inside a gilded cage. Rostov voices the show’s message early in the premiere: “They can take away your house or your rooms. They can’t take away who you are.”

McGregor’s sweeping performance ties together the historical and emotional elements of the show, making a grand, foreign setting seem manageable. “A Gentleman in Moscow” is a show to watch out for, setting high stakes for its characters. Viewers can anticipate spending many enjoyable evenings in the Metropol Hotel.

—Staff writer Erlisa Demneri can be reached at erlisa.demneri@thecrimson.com.

ArtsTV