Flyby’s Guide to Thanksgiving

By Courtesy of Google Images

While this year’s Thanksgiving probably looks quite different from the last, Thanksgiving cravings still remain. We’ve got you covered with some tips and tricks for satisfying your tastebuds with some classic Thanksgiving delicacies to (hopefully!) bring us back some sense of normalcy. Whatever you have planned, we’re here to make sure that your COVID-friendly Thanksgiving is fun, safe (yes, that includes if you're doing Friendsgiving!), and especially yummy.

The Strategy

Before we actually provide you with all of the necessary details to make this 2020 Thanksgiving awesomely delectable, let’s establish ground rule #1: divide and conquer. Whomever you find yourself with — remember you are only one person. Assign yourself a specific dish, and then rely on others (or the pre-made food grocery aisle!) to help :) It’s one big group project that actually succeeds.

The Menu

Whether you are buying ingredients from the grocery store or have figured out a contactless way of getting food, plan, plan, plan (do we have to say that again? Yes. PLAN!). Want to be ~extra~? Create a beautifully designed menu for your guests to admire using all of the tools you’ve learned this online semester.

The Turkey

If there’s any tip to take away from this article, it’s this: you do not need to make a whole turkey. With a six-hour roast (no, we’re not talking about Harvard-Yale jokes) and finals looming over our heads, cooking a whole turkey is too much of a hassle. Instead, buy turkey breasts and drumsticks at the store, or if you’re really lazy, a rotisserie chicken will do.

*Note: Flyby does not endorse the use of turkeys as face masks.

Our favorites:

Homemade: Bon Appetit Spiced Roast Turkey (omit the butchering steps)

Store-bought: Amazon Whole Foods Rotisserie Chicken

Stuffing

A not-official Flyby poll had our writers singing the praises of Thanksgiving stuffing, so if you’ve been assigned to this glorious dish, you’re in luck. Luckily, stuffing doesn’t take too much effort — just a bit of thyme — even if you’re making it from scratch.

Our favorites:

Homemade: Epicurious “Simple is Best” Stuffing

Store bought: Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing

Show off: Bon Appetit’s Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage and Corn Nuts

Cranberry Sauce

Is cranberry sauce akin to ketchup? Instead of talking about your online semester this Thanksgiving, instead talk with family and/or friends about cranberry sauce as a condiment (don’t we all just love literal food for thought?).

Our favorites:

Homemade: Allrecipes Cranberry Sauce

Store bought: Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce

Sides

The best part about Thanksgiving, and there’s no need to say more. Instead, we’ll leave you with our favorite recipes to give you a *transformative experience* that will make Dean Khurana jealous.

Our favorites:

Classic: Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes

A Little Different: Maple-Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts

A Lotta Different: Sichuan Peppercorn Marinated Green Beans

Pies / Desserts

In case there’s a bit more space left in your stomach after your Thanksgiving meal, why not top it off with some delicious [insert favorite flavor] pie! We’re not going to get into the debate of which flavor is the best, so here are some options for whatever you choose!

Our favorites:

Pecan: Flour Bakery’s Pecan Pie

Pumpkin: Julia Child’s Fluffy Pumpkin Pie

Apple: King Arthur Flour’s Apple Pie

No matter what happens, just remember to relax, find a little joy in our bleak world, and eat good food — because after all, isn’t that what Thanksgiving is all about?

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front FeatureFeatures and SeriesCoronavirus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.