The Definitive Ranking of House Libraries: From My New Favorite Study Spot to Literally Just a Room

•
By Eve S. Jones

Once you’re in a House, you have the best perk of all: there’s no more trekking back from Cabot Library at 3 a.m., fruitlessly hoping that you won’t see a rat. Instead, you’ll be safe and sound in a cozy study spot a hundred feet from your bed. But not all House libraries are the same, which is where our ranking comes in.

My credentials for evaluating the House libraries are clear: I’ve spent the night in Lamont multiple times. If you need more than that, I really don’t know what to tell you.

C Tier: Cute, but Where Are the Books?

Currier, Pfoho, and Adams invited me to reconsider my preconceived notions about libraries.

Currier and Pfoho: In Currier and Pfoho’s defense, these libraries are more often referred to as “reading rooms” rather than honest-to-god libraries. Still, the quantity of books in these rooms is more similar to that found in a fifth-grade reading nook than any library I’ve ever been to. However, both rooms are cute study spaces that break from the aesthetic of Harvard’s more stately libraries; maybe you won’t be scouring the shelves for an interesting title, but your all-nighters will be very comfortable.

Adams: My first words upon entering Adams’ “library” were “I’m sorry.” However, I should note that the “library” I viewed was the one in the Inn since the actual House library was inaccessible due to renovations. Based on images of the true House library, I’d probably rank it as B-tier, but it’s hard to say.

B Tier: Books, Finally!

Cabot, Winthrop, and Lowell restored my faith in libraries, but not enough to rank higher on this list.

Cabot: Like the other Quad libraries, Cabot’s library, rather confusingly referred to as Eliot Library, is a single room. However, the shelves, lining the walls of the room and spanning from floor to ceiling make the room feel more like a library, and quotes from famous alumnae, including Helen Keller, decorate the walls. The volumes stored there are not likely to be much more helpful than those in the other Quad libraries, but the vibes are immaculate.

Lowell: You’d expect Lowell Library to rank higher on this list because, well, it’s Lowell, but the library itself was kind of just a room. A very, very pretty room, but a room nonetheless — nothing about the space made it stand out from the other house libraries in my mind. The library was also super crowded relative to the other house libraries, but maybe that’s your vibe!

Winthrop: Again, Winthrop Library isn’t much more than a room with many, many books in it, but it has a super clear aesthetic, with pale green walls and glass display cases showcasing model ships. I’m not sure exactly how the interior design scheme was decided — what do tiny ships have to do with lions? — but I’m a fan.

A Tier: Add in a Gimmick

Leverett, Kirkland, and Quincy earned my affection with innovative concepts that made them spaces anyone would enjoy studying in.

Kirkland: If you’ve ever walked to Dunkin’ from the River, you’ve likely passed Kirkland’s library, the Hicks House Library. As a library contained within a home built in 1762, the library feels very historical, adding a stately vibe to your study sesh. The intimacy of the space and the location on JFK Street make it feel rather removed from the rest of campus (even though it’s smack dab in the middle), which might be a plus or a downside depending on your study habits.

Leverett: The Lev Library — which, yes, is not the same as the Library Theater — has apparently won architectural awards, but I unfortunately do not know enough about architecture to properly factor that into my rating. I will say that it’s a very, very pretty building, with a bathroom conveniently located just outside the swipe access area, and the space features more armchairs than the other libraries, making the library itself feel more cozy and homey. Unfortunately, no one can access the library without heading outside, since the library is located above the guard’s office, disconnected from both McKinlock and the towers. But I’d say that it’s worth it.

Quincy: Quincy’s library automatically made it into A Tier by being referred to as the Qube. While the silence inside is oppressive, the library features an impressive comic book collection and might be the perfect location for some reading period study sessions. The library is technically a double-decker, but the second floor is more of an overlook, hugging the library’s four walls, than anything of substance.

S Tier: Spending the Next Four Years Here

We saved the best for last: Mather, Eliot, and Dunster are sure to astound.

Eliot: I’m not sure that I can fit the experience of Eliot Library into words. If you live in Eliot, I am automatically jealous of you just for having 24/7 access to it. If you haven’t yet experienced Eliot Library for yourself, imagine the quintessential Harvard library and you’ll likely end up close to the real deal. In addition to a spacious first floor, the library features a study nook with a few more bookshelves on an upper level, though I should warn you that the stairs up will activate your claustrophobia.

Dunster: Dunster’s library is spacious and, in addition to the quiet study space found in other House libraries, features two study alcoves perfect for a group study session. When I visited, both the entry and exit doors were propped open, making the space feel vaguely like a hallway, but the library has the perfect balance of windows and shelves to make your Sunday work sessions feel a little bit airier.

Mather: While breaking from the stereotypical Harvard style (as all of Mather is wont to do), Mather’s library towers over its competition with its three stories. Yeah, you read that right: three stories. The staircases are also generously sized (like, you can fit six people on a step), and the brutalist style is balanced by an abundance of greenery. The shelves in the library are all rather short, making it feel like there aren’t that many books, but considering the number of shelves, I’m willing to bet that there are more than enough books to satisfy your reading appetite. Overall, the library feels like the perfect study space, and I might be spending the next few years begging my Matherite friends to swipe me in.

Whether you’re a freshman excitedly anticipating your new House or an upperclassman seeking to hype up your House, we hope this ranking clued you into the amazing study spaces that can be accessed without stepping past your House’s gates. Wherever your House’s facilities fall on our list, you’re likely to have a blast using them…hopefully enough of a blast that you’ll leave the last table in Lamont for us.

Flyby BlogAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.