Fifteen Minutes: Spiritual

If an Enya CD provides all the spirituality in your life, consider yourself soul-dead. God knows Harvard's stress-culture discourages us
By FM Staff

If an Enya CD provides all the spirituality in your life, consider yourself soul-dead. God knows Harvard's stress-culture discourages us from cultivating our spiritual selves.

Walking through Harvard Yard, religiosity pierces the sky with the steeple of Memorial Church. The politics, hermeneutics and iconography of religion recur endlessly in the coursebook and in our coursework. But more often than not, this is as close we come to spiritual awareness. Deep inside every Harvard students, there's a spiritual self-try to find it if you can.

An easy first step is to escape the madness of Harvard. Make the hike to Mt. Auburn Cemetery (580 Mt. Auburn St., across from Star Market; 547-7105 for directions; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) where acres of peaceful nooks and quiet crannies await. It's a.m.erica's oldest garden cemetery. 10 miles of tree-lined roads and cool birdwatching spots encourage reflection and spiritual repair.

Or ride the green line for a Zen experience. The Museum of Fine Arts Boston has a Zen rock garden (465 Huntington Ave., Boston; 267-9300), a perfectly serene spot to clear your mind. Better than the backyard of your favorite Beni-hana, this elegant Zen rock garden encourages quiet rumination without acid-reflux. Get there soon because the garden in only opened seasonally.

If your spiritual condition calls for more than rocks, consider the real deal-Zen meditation. Discover the ancient Chinese mindfulness practice at The Cambridge Zen Center (199 Auburn St., 2 blocks from Central Square; 576-3229; www.cambridgezen.com). Morning and evening meditation classes, beginning at 5:45 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. respectively, can be supplemented by monthly meditation retreats to beautiful sites around Massachusetts. Beginners can attend a Monday night intro meditation class or the Thursday night dharma discussions which focus on practice.

For a more button-up experience, seek the solace of Trinity Church Boston (Copley Square, Boston; Sunday services at 11 a.m.). At Trinity, church-time really isn't all about praying. It's about the acoustics. Drop in on the organ recitals every Friday at 12:15 p.m. Music has been an important part of Trinity Church Boston ever since its 9th rector, Phillip Brooks, wrote the song "O little town of Bethlehem." Sunday services feature inspiring choral singing. Show up early for a seat. At the Emmanuel Episcopal Church (15 Newbury St.: T: Arlington; 10 a.m.) every Sunday service features a full Bach cantata.

For an alternative to the traditional church and steeple thing, the Quaker Friends Meeting (5 Longfellow Park, off of Brattle St., 5 blocks west of Harvard Square; 876-6883; Wednesday 8:30 a.m and Sunday at 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.) offers new ways to explore spirituality. The Quakers emphasize peace and participatory worship. The center welcomes the Harvard community and offers courses on bible study and Quakerism and hosts discussion groups for undergrads.

Take a trendier path toward spiritual renovation. Stretch your body like silly putty and learn some interesting new positions that even Cosmo Kama Sutra would be proud of at Yoga Class (Malkin Athletic Center; Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and Tuesday and Thursday 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.; $5). As a mental practice as well as a physical one, yoga will relax you as it is centered on strength and flexibility training.

While you're at it, swing by Kitty Donahue's Massage and Acupuncture Salon (2557 Mass. Ave., near Porter Square; 492-6777; $60) for an ancient Chinese medical diagnosis to assess what parts of your body are in need of energy reversals. Kitty will tell you that every individual has energy flowing through their body and energy flowing in the right direction indicates good health. According to this diagnosis, Kitty will divide up your one-hour session between massage and acupuncture. Or you can just tell her what you want.

If you're dying to bust a New Age vibe but can't handle the yoga or needles, settle for an Aromapharmacy candle. Available at Jasmine-Sola (37 Brattle St.), the candles are packaged in amberglass jars that look like oversized prescription pill containers. The candles contain scented oils to set a desired mood, each oil having its own healing power. Choose from candle options like "Valiumello" or the "Niagra" which promises to aid "in getting your groove on."

But why break a fire regulation if you don't have to? Singing with Kuumba will cultivate your spiritual side and improve your pitch at the same time. Known for their energetic concerts that combine music, song and dance, Kuumba is entertainment to the outside eye and family to its participants. No auditions are needed to join but there are smaller singing groups within Kuumba that are chosen on a selective basis.

Learn about Islam at the Islamic Society of Boston and check out Cambridge's only mosque (204 Prospect St., next to Pennypacker; 876-3546; Services and weekly discussion groups Friday 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.). Each discussion group features a sermon, given by someone in the community, emphasizing the rules of Islam and stories of the prophet Muhammad. The Islamic society also organizes social gatherings for its members.

Drop into Hillel (Mt. Auburn St., across from Quincy House) for a dose of architecture, culture and, rumor has it, some Natalie-Portman gazing. Discover Judaism through weekly services, theatrical presentations, community service projects and Kosher meals. Attend the minyan of your choice (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform).