Harvard Institute of Politics Appoints Morgan Brown ’06 as Next Executive Director

The Harvard Kennedy School's Institute of Politics hosts programming that aims to engage undergraduates in politics and public service.
The Harvard Kennedy School's Institute of Politics hosts programming that aims to engage undergraduates in politics and public service. By Zadoc I.N. Gee
By Thomas J. Mete, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics has named Morgan S. Brown ’06 the program’s next executive director, according to a Monday morning press release.

The appointment concluded a yearlong search triggered after Setti D. Warren was promoted from the role to lead the IOP following the unexpected departure of Mark D. Gearan ’78.

“I am honored to join the IOP at such a critical time in the political arena both nationally, and abroad,” Brown said in the press release.

“I am confident in the power of public service to change our world for the better and am incredibly excited to roll up my sleeves and join the incredible students, fellows, and staff at the IOP in advancing those critical goals,” he added.

The decision comes one month after Laura C. Dove concluded her six-month stint as the IOP’s second-in-command, a role that had Dove “oversee all aspects of IOP programming and operations” — in effect assuming the responsibilities of the executive director.

Morgan S. Brown ’06 will serve as the next executive director of the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics.
Morgan S. Brown ’06 will serve as the next executive director of the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics. By Courtesy of Morgan S. Brown

“We are delighted to welcome Morgan back to the IOP,” Warren said in a press release announcing the appointment.

“He is a talented leader who has a keen dedication to, and appreciation for, the value of public service and a passion for fostering collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusivity,” he added.

Brown was last a member of the IOP during his undergraduate years at Harvard, when he also captained the Harvard baseball team. According to Warren, during Brown’s time at the College, he was “an active member of the IOP and participated in several programs and events.”

Brown — once “one of the Ivy League’s top shortstops,” per the Harvard Athletics website — has spent the past 13 seasons with Harvard’s baseball program, which he joined in 2010 as an assistant coach before becoming director of baseball operations in 2014. He joined the program following a stint as a professional baseball player in North America, Europe, and Australia.

During his time with Harvard Athletics, Brown has remained involved in public service. He advised a delegation to the COP27 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Egypt as deputy director for the Individual Resilience Initiative of the Adrienne Arsht–Rockefeller Foundation Resilience Center at the Atlantic Council.

Prior to joining the initiative in 2021, Brown spent more than eight years as the senior international program consultant for Harvard, working to “expand the global teaching and research mission of the university in more than 150 countries.”

Brown has also maintained an involvement in politics throughout his numerous roles, working for the presidential campaign of Pete Buttigieg ’04 and the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s 2020 coordinated campaign.

“I look forward to working with students to ensure that through our programs, events, and discussions, we continue to inspire young people to get into public service and make a difference here at Harvard, across the nation, and around the globe,” he said in the press release.

Brown has not indicated if he will step down from his role with Harvard baseball as he becomes the IOP’s executive director. Previously, he has held a role with the team while pursuing public service.

—Staff writer Thomas J. Mete can be reached at thomas.mete@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @thomasjmete.

IOPHarvard Kennedy SchoolFront FeatureFeatured Articles