Pardon the Collaboration

PARDON THE COLLABORATION: A Rough Year So Far For Yale Football

September 26, 2012

The beginning of a new football season brings with it an optimism of things to come. The Crimson lost a number of stars from last year’s Ivy League championship team, but through its first two contests, the team has looked solid, and spirits are high. Meanwhile, Harvard’s rival in New Haven is engaged in what has become a year-long comedy of errors on and off the field.

It all started last year when then-star quarterback Patrick Witt became the poster boy for what is right in college athletics when he was forced to decide between playing in the Harvard-Yale game or attending his final interview for the Rhodes scholarship. Eager to ride the wave, former Bulldog coach Tom Williams spoke at length of his own Rhodes candidacy as a player at Stanford who was faced with the decision of attending an NFL tryout or his own final interview. As Williams told it, he chose football over the prestigious scholarship and his quarterback, Witt, followed suit.

Read more

Questions Abound for Men's Basketball

September 13, 2012

The shocking withdrawal of  Kyle Casey and the expected departure of Brandyn Curry from school has focused much of the media attention on the co-captains of the Harvard men’s basketball team. So far, much less ink has been spilled on those players who still remain on the Crimson roster

The foundation of the 2011-12 team that won the Ivy League championship and made Harvard’s first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1946 is gone. Last year’s co-captains, Keith Wright ’12 and Oliver McNally ’12, graduated alongside classmate Andrew Van Nest ’12. Sharpshooter Corbin Miller departed for a two-year Mormon mission, and highly touted recruit Max Hooper transferred to Saint John’s. The Crimson expected Harvard-Westlake’s Zena Edosomwan, the highest-rated recruit ever to commit to an Ivy League school, to offset some of this attrition, but after failing to meet Harvard’s Academic Index requirements, Edosomwan returned for one more year of high school and plans to join the Class of 2017.

Read more

House Art Cover Wallpaper
Visual Arts

Art House

Youth Homelessness in the Square
Harvard Square

For Homeless Youth, Age Can Compound Challenges of Life on the Streets

On Year Later: Boston Marathon Bombings
Boston Marathon

VIDEO: Looking Back One Year Later, Harvard Affiliates Prepare to Return to Finish Line

Johnston Gate Arts Cover
Arts

Rebuilding the Past: Harvard's Beautification Renaissance