Se-Ho B. Kim

aphex-twin-promo
Music

Hear Me Out: Aphex Twin, 'minipops 67 [120.2] [source field mix]'

"minipops 67" showcases Aphex Twin’s often overlooked ear for harmony while breathing life into an upcoming album that now promises to stay true to his discography.

lefse-space-project-cover
Music

"Space Project" Showcases Stellar Songwriting

As far as collaborative albums go, “The Space Project” is a fairly disjointed one, but the album revels in this multifaceted soundscape, turning its diffuse style into its greatest strength.

mac demarco salad days cover
Music

DeMarco Leaves His “Salad Days” Behind

In a way, DeMarco has found his comfort zone. The 11 tracks on “Salad Days” serve as mile markers on a circular track, marking musical growth and exploration but ultimately lacking the dynamicism to capture the listener’s attention for any significant period of time.

Adams Picture
Music

Artistic Appraisals: A Housing Day Video Critique

Arts Blog presents a pretentious analytical examination of the Housing Day videos, complete with stylistic comparisons to famed directors.

Cibo Matto promo
Music

Catching Up With Cibo Matto

Cibo Matto founders Miho Hatori and Yuka C. Honda sat down with The Crimson to talk about their band, their influences, and their new album.

Arts

Image

Music

Art or Not Art?

Incoming Music executive Se-Ho B. Kim discusses New York City, "Evan Almighty," razed sculptures, and your lips. Art or not art?

Music

"Mathers LP 2" is When Eminem Collapses

As always, Eminem is furious and unforgiving, taking pride in his willingness to spit lines that other rappers wouldn’t dare say. But on “The Marshall Mathers LP 2,” he begins to move away from lyricism in exchange for wordy tripe and shock value.

Music

Mixtape: Spooky Sad (2/2)

Remember mixtapes? Crimson Arts does. Welcome to our biweekly feature, where we create mixtapes for every emotion and every season—for breakups, breakdowns, and breakdancing. This week our mixtape is a two-part feature dedicated to all the creepy crawlies you may encouter this Halloween.

Music

Best Coast "Fade" Into Disappointing Territory

The biggest misstep of “Fade Away” is moving away from Best Coast’s formula for success. This seems to be a conscientious decision on the part of Cosentino and Bobb Bruno. However, it bogs down the carefree spirit that marked their earlier work.

SOCH Recording Studio
Music

The Silent Studios

Six years after its opening, the SOCH recording studio has fallen into disuse. Despite its goal of unifying campus musicians, the musical community at Harvard is as incohesive as it was when the space first opened. What happened to the studio and the vision that inspired it?

Music

Earl Sweatshirt Recreates Himself at the Tender Age of Nineteen

Upon his return from Samoa, Earl tweeted that “I anticipate a loss of fans [upon releasing ‘Doris’].” Earl Sweatshirt's sincere approach to “Doris” is enhanced by his usual astonishing lyricism. The internal rhyme schemes and relaxed delivery that helped made “Earl” so mesmerizing become the foundation of “Doris.”

Music

Arctic Monkeys Continue to Evolve

Arctic Monkeys have reinvented themselves four times, once for every subsequent album, each time attacking the same themes and ideas from slightly different angles. “AM” is a logical next step in their development.

Music

"Terror" An Affecting Experiment in Fear

As the Flaming Lips' album develops, the tracks become more opaque and, at times, completely impalpable. The Lips cultivate an impersonal, synthetic sound, never coming close to sounding like a rock band.

Music

Youthful Potential Lost at Sea

Ultimately, a few promising tracks can’t save “Machineries of Joy” from mediocrity. The album opens weakly with its title track, which under-performs both in lyricism and composition. Unfortunately, the most fitting way to describe the remainder of “Machineries of Joy” is as a cliché of indie rock.

GSD picture
Visual Arts

Intelligent Design: Negotiating the Identity of the Architecture Track

django unchained scene
Visual Arts

Script Doctors

Harvard vs. Yale
Yale

Freshman Survey Part V: A Look at New Haven

Books
Academics

Freshman Survey Part III: Inside the Classroom and Out