Tech Terms: A Guide for the Non Tech-Savvy

Confused by all the tech jargon STEM concentrators are always bandying about? Us too, but we’ve managed to figure out Wikipedia, so here are some simple, plain English definitions for some common tech terms that you might see on the Internet, hear on the street, or have to explain to your grandmother.
By S. Levi Spickler

Meme – A term coined by Richard Dawkins to describe the imitable structures people use to spread ideas throughout a culture. Modern Internet memes generally take the form of pictures with humorous captions, some of which include such apparently “hilarious” things as Doge, the Forever Alone guy, and rage comics.See also: Meme culture, a way to justify the fact that you still live in your parent’s basement.

The Cloud – Some kind of resource-sharing method that allows a user to store and access data through the Internet rather than from a hard drive. How it works is still completely unknown, but scientists agree that its appearance is linked with climate change.

Linux – An operating system used by people who want you to know they’re smarter than you.

Net Neutrality – It’s hard to explain this one. Maybe just Google it.

Dongle – A small piece of hardware that allows a user to access additional software; mostly important because it is the one avenue through which CS majors can giggle and make wiener jokes.

Java – A programming language/computing platform designed specifically to never be up-to-date; considered by many to be the pinnacle of annoying, useless software. Also an island in Indonesia!

If you have questions about tech terms, technology in general, or funny dongle jokes, feel free to email us here at magazine@hotmail.com.

Computer ScienceTechnologyLevityA Little Levity