Massachusetts Voters Will Head to the Polls Tuesday. Here’s What You Need to Know.

By Toby R. Ma
By Yusuf S. Mian and Charlotte P. Ritz-Jack, Crimson Staff Writers

Massachusetts voters will head to the polls Tuesday in the 2022 midterm elections. The races at the top of the ticket remain largely uncompetitive.

Here’s what you need to know going into the Massachusetts midterms.

Governor

At the top of the ticket, the race to replace outgoing Governor Charlie D. Baker ’79 is widely expected to be a walk in the park for Democrats. Attorney General Maura T. Healey ’92, who cruised through the Democratic primary in September, leads the Republican nominee, Geoffrey G. Diehl, in most polls. Healey led Diehl, a Trump-backed former state representative from Plymouth, 61 percent to 33 percent in a recent University of Massachusetts Amherst poll.

Healey also holds a commanding fundraising advantage over Diehl, according to recent state campaign finance filings. Baker, the popular outgoing GOP governor who opted not to seek a third term, has notably sat out the race, declining to endorse Diehl.

Lieutenant Governor

Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll tops the Democratic ticket alongside Healey as the party’s nominee for lieutenant governor. She faces former State Representative Leah G. Cole Allen. Driscoll, who defeated a pair of Democratic challengers in the primary, also holds a wide lead over Allen, according to the UMass Amherst poll.

Attorney General

In the race for attorney general, former Boston City Councilor Andrea J. Campbell, the Democratic nominee, will face Republican James McMahon, a trial attorney. Campbell holds a commanding 25 percentage point lead over McMahon, according to the UMass poll.

Campbell would be the first Black woman elected to a statewide office in Massachusetts.

Secretary of State

Longtime incumbent Secretary of State William F. Galvin, a Democrat who was first elected in 1994, is running for his eighth term. He will face Republican Rayla Campbell, a right-wing radio host.

Galvin defeated a progressive primary challenger, Tanisha Sullivan, who leads the Boston chapter of the NAACP, with 72 percent of the vote in September.

Galvin led Cambell by 28 percentage points in the UMass Amherst poll.

Auditor

The race for state auditor could be the Republicans’ best chance to put up a fight on Tuesday. Democrat Diana DiZoglio is set to face Republican Anthony Amore, the only GOP nominee Baker has endorsed. The state auditor is responsible for conducting audits of state programs, departments, and agencies.

A recent Suffolk University poll showed DiZoglio, a Massachusetts state senator from Essex, leading Amore, 40 percent to 25 percent. Almost a quarter of voters remained undecided, according to the survey.

U.S. Representatives

All nine Democrats who represent Massachusetts in the U.S. House are considered safe in their re-election campaigns. Representatives Ayanna S. Pressley and Katherine M. Clark, who represent Cambridge, face Republicans Dannie D. Palmer Jr. and Caroline Colarusso respectively.

State Legislature

All eight members of Cambridge’s state legislative delegation — Representatives David M. Rogers, Marjorie C. Decker, Michael L. Connolly, Steven C. Owens, and Jay D. Livingstone and Senators Lydia M. Edwards, Patricia D. Jehlen, and Sal N. DiDomenico — are running unopposed as Democrats.

Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, including a location at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design.

—Staff writer Yusuf S. Mian can be reached at yusuf.mian@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @yusuf_mian2.

—Staff writer Charlotte P. Ritz-Jack can be reached at charlotte.ritz-jack@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @Charritzjack.

CambridgeBostonFront FeatureState PoliticsMetroFeatured Articles