Artist Profile: Detroit Rapper Mickey Diamond On His Recent Work with Big Ghost LTD

Moving to Detroit in elementary school led to Diamond's eventual pursuit of a career in rap, where his Detroit roots play a crucial role in shaping his sound.
Moving to Detroit in elementary school led to Diamond's eventual pursuit of a career in rap, where his Detroit roots play a crucial role in shaping his sound. By Courtesy of Ramon '1000WORD$' Lazo
By Ryan S. Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

Detroit rapper Mickey Diamond has been making a name for himself with his signature deep-voiced delivery and gritty lyricism. Last December, he dropped his album, "Gucci Ghost," in collaboration with producer Big Ghost LTD. In an interview with The Harvard Crimson, Diamond delved into his inspirations, creative process, and connections within the rap community, giving fans a glimpse into the life of a rapper on the verge of greatness.

Detroit is Mickey Diamond’s hometown and creative center, but the rapper was born in South Carolina. Moving to Detroit in elementary school led to Diamond's eventual pursuit of a career in rap, where his Detroit roots play a crucial role in shaping his sound.

“I moved to Detroit in ’97. It was a culture shock. I lived in a small town down south. I bounced between South Carolina and Georgia because my dad was in the military. By the time we finally moved up here, I was 11-years-old, an impressionable age where you start learning everything. Detroit is fast, And at least compared to what I was coming from.”

Mickey Diamond's style stands out within the Detroit underground, blending elements of boom-bap and classic New York City hip-hop to create a sound that is more in line with contemporary East Coast artists like those signed under Griselda Records. He cites Outkast and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony among his early influences, alongside Detroit legends like J Dilla. Diamond’s father had a prominent influence on the rapper’s taste in hip-hop, introducing him to artists like Ice Cube and DMX.

“I remember when [my dad] bought ‘Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood’ by DMX,” the rapper said. “My dad had a paper route and we played those albums back to back to back every night for like six months, while we did the route. Because we ran the route so much, I knew by the time that we made it to a certain song on the album that we were almost done.”

Last December, Diamond dropped his latest work, “Gucci Ghost,” and its sequel “Gucci Ghost 2,” both fully produced by renowned producer Big Ghost LTD. The anonymous beatmaker has worked with the likes of Conway the Machine, ANKHLEJOHN, and most recently Griselda rapper Rome Streetz.

“Funny story is I had sent him a message in the DM like, ‘I love what you're doing. I would love to be able to work with you someday,’” the rapper said. “That message literally went unseen for a year.”

Diamond shared that his collaboration with Big Ghost came about after the producer saw the Detroit rapper perform online in a December 2021 freestyle showcase at Top Shelf Premium, a clothing store in Hoboken, N.J. Diamond performed at the store alongside his collaborators from the Umbrella Collective, a New York-based hip-hop crew founded by Pro Dillinger and Snotty in 2018.

“When we did Top Shelf Premium, I guess [Big Ghost] saw the freestyle, he hit me and we started talking,” Mickey Diamond said. “What really brought the album about though was a picture he sent to me. It was a picture of every single cassette that I have ever put out. He told me, ‘I’m a fan.’”

Inspiration for “Gucci Ghost” came from Canadian snowboarder Trevor Andrew’s fashion alter ego, Guccighost, and the tumultuous history of the Gucci family.

“[Trevor Andrew] came out with a brand called Gucci Ghost, where he would spray paint the Gucci logo on refrigerators and all kinds of shit,” the rapper said. “He wasn’t contracted by Gucci, it was all independent. It inspired me because he got Gucci’s attention and they let him design a shoe.”

“I tied that in with the story behind Gucci and the Gucci family,” Diamond added. “There was a lot of chaos and turmoil with them running that luxury brand.”

“Gucci Ghost” and its sequel touch on themes of family, legacy and fate. The rapper’s attention to detail in his storytelling are evident on standout tracks like “GG Buckets.” Diamond shared that working with Big Ghost is just the beginning of his trajectory.

“It's one of the better deals that I've ever done,” Diamond said. “I got a bucket list of milestones for my career. This was a step in the right direction for me to see that I am on the right path, that I'm doing the right thing and that the right eyes are on me. Things can only get better from here.”

—Staff writer Ryan S. Kim can be reached at ryan.kim@thecrimson.com.

MusicArts