Stress-Eating for the Soul

Hungry right now? You probably are. And if you’re not (weirdo), you probably will be within the next 20 minutes. As Harvard students, we are constantly running from lecture to meeting to section and don’t always have time for a full meal. And even if you do manage to squeeze in three a day, you’re probably still hungry from all those calories spent thinking and working out (our brains, that is...).

This is where snacking comes in. You sprint into the dining hall and grab the easiest item—if you’re smart, that’s an apple, but most likely it’s a bagel or cookie. But there are better foods to eat that will be delicious and keep you alert until your next food break!

1. Cherry tomatoes. Small, sweet, and bright, cherry tomatoes are basically candy in fruit form (yes, they’re technically a fruit). Also an easy snack to share so your friends won’t have to look on longingly as you munch. Optional game: try to convince an onlooker that M&M’s invented a new candy called the Mega M.

Where to buy: The Farmers Market on Tuesdays outside Science Center, or the Charles Square Farmers Market Fridays & Sundays.

2. Cereal and granola from breakfast. Put in a bag. Carry around all day to munch on. Foods that crunch are better, it’s pretty much fact. Maybe skip the Colossal Crunch and Marshmallow Mateys, and grab some Heart to Heart or Cracklin’ Oat Bran instead.

3. Nuts and seeds. You’ve heard it time and time again, but we're here to shell out a final word. Peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds—all portable and high in protein, and none require refrigeration. Another plus—you can finally befriend the squirrel terrorizing Kirkland Courtyard!

4. Those flax seed-covered kale chips your roommate gets in her parents’ care packages from California. She probably won’t notice! Wait—she totally will. Californians protect their kale like no other.

Student LifeFood and DrinkHUDSFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.