How to Celebrate Your Birthday in Self-Isolation

By FlyByBlog

From celebrating with your blockmates to surprising a friend in their dorm room, birthdays in college are one of a kind. While the full Harvard birthday experience might not be possible in quarantine, there’s no reason you shouldn’t celebrate. Whether you’re making plans for your own birthday or trying to plan a friend’s, here are some tips to make sure that even a birthday in quarantine is unforgettable.

Self-care

Birthdays are about celebrating you! Take some time to appreciate yourself, whether that’s with your favorite snacks, skincare routine, or even just skipping your recorded 9 a.m. lecture and sleeping in. Alternatively, if it’s a friend’s birthday, ship them a care-package with all their favorite things and a handwritten note telling them how much they mean to you.

Birthday Photoshoot

Just because quarantine life is quiet doesn’t mean your Instagram feed should be. Find a blank wall at home, hang up a background or tapestry, and get some pro-lighting going. Change into your favorite outfit and recruit a family member to be your photographer. If you want to go the extra mile, use that free Adobe Creative Cloud subscription to enhance your results!

Free Food Scavenger Hunt

Wherever you are, there is a restaurant nearby that promises free food on birthdays. Capitalize on free delivery options that many restaurants now offer and get a birthday meal sent to your front door. If it’s a friend’s birthday, surprise them and send food to their house! We’ll help you get started — free birthday drinks at Starbucks, ice cream at Baskin Robbins, and pancakes at IHOP are just a few to choose from.

Virtual Birthday Party

Invite your friends to a virtual birthday party over Houseparty or Zoom. Blast your birthday playlist and pick some classic birthday party activities like charades, Cards Against Humanity, or karaoke. Spend your birthday hanging out with the people you love most. Even if they aren’t right next to you, video chatting will make you feel like your best buddies aren’t too far away.

The list of indoor birthday festivities isn’t limited to what’s above. Making easy microwave mug cakes, watching old movies (High School Musical, anyone?), and spending quality time with family are just a few more. Whether they are with you right now or not, there are people who love and appreciate you. Just remember, we’re celebrating your birthday because you’re special and you deserve it!

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.