The Silver Linings of Virtual Visitas

•
By Margot E. Shang

Usually a weekend of chaos, excitement, and lanyards, Visitas is a Harvard staple, where all of the upperclassmen dedicate their entire weekends to creating a fun experience for prospective freshmen. While it’s certainly disappointing that Visitas has moved online, there are some silver linings that you can appreciate about not being on campus.

A bed.

Crammed next to three other strangers on a weird-smelling carpet on a common room floor? No thanks. When you’re streaming Visitas panels from your comfy bed, you might forget that Visitas lodging is mediocre at best, and it would otherwise leave you with a sore back and a million cramps.

Don’t get lost.

Know where the bathroom is? Your kitchen? Your bed? Yet another perk of Virtual Visitas! On campus, the mark of a prefrosh is a customary red Harvard lanyard and the signature lost-sheep look. Instead of wandering around for thirty minutes trying to find Sever Hall or begging some stressed upperclassmen to give you directions, enjoy already knowing the layout of your home. The only thing that will be confusing is which Zoom link corresponds to which event.

Zoom Omnivision

You may have just connected on a spiritual level with someone but you’ve already forgotten their name. Instead of the awkward “Hey… person” greetings you’ll have to deal with every day at Visitas, you’ll have a name to associate with every 1x1 face on Zoom. No more forgetting people’s names – at least, not until orientation.

The Ivy Trinity

After five minutes of talking to this kid, they’ve already told you that they’re “just having such a tough time” deciding between Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and a gap year of single-handedly fixing the world’s economy. Instead of muttering an “Oh cool…” and slowly slipping away, just pretend your Wi-Fi connection is blipping, your entire Zoom setup is crashing, your microphone isn’t working and – all of the sudden, Virtual Visitas isn’t looking too bad.

Rescind-itas

While sneaking into parties as a prefrosh is incredibly exhilarating, there are the risks that come with it: since Harvard’s amnesty policies don’t extend to prefrosh, illegal things done on campus can be punished through the legendary rescind-itas. However, since you’re not on campus, it’s easier to avoid the temptation – and avoid getting caught.

Visitas or not, get ready for some of the best four years of your life; whether Visitas is online or in person, you’re bound to have a great experience at Harvard no matter what!

FeaturesFlyby BlogFeatures and Series

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.