Artist Spotlight: Jacob A. Brandt '14

Brandt '14 is a playwright and actor.
Brandt '14 is a playwright and actor.
By Adela H. Kim, Contributing Writer

From acting in the play “The Aliens” at the Boston Center for the Arts, playwriting “Best Seller,” interning for “Porgy and Bess” at the American Repertory Theatre to directing “The Thing About Air Travel” earlier this year, to handling a full course load, Jacob A. Brandt ’14 has a packed schedule. A special concentrator studying “Drama: Theory and Practice” living in Quincy House, Brandt is a professional actor who has also been involved with all aspects of theater. He is currently cast as the title role in “Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson,” a rock musical being performed at OBERON, the second stage of the American Repertory Theater. The show will debut Dec. 5.

The Harvard Crimson: It seems like you’ve been involved with all aspects of drama, from playwriting, interning, acting to directing. Is there a reason why you decided to experiment from all aspects, as opposed to narrowing into one?

Jacob A. Brandt: I usually consider myself an actor first, but I think that not only is it really helpful as an actor to try to experiment with many different facets of theater, it’s something that I enjoy doing so I figured, “why wouldn’t I not do something that I enjoy?”

THC: How do you think being involved in so many aspects of theater has helped you be a better actor?

JAB: I think that spending time in and around the theater is the best way to learn about theater. It is a very hands-on thing. You can read millions of essays and books about the theory of theater, but until you really get in there and start working on things, it’s really difficult to understand what the process of being a director, playwright, [or] actor entails. I think that each time I’ve entered a theater, whether it’s been as an intern, a director, an actor, I constantly find myself learning something new.

THC: What has your experience been like, being a full time student at Harvard but at the same time being a professional actor?

JAB: It’s been really great because I’ve been actually been able to study the things I’ve wanted to study.... Before I came to Harvard, I actually met with the Special Concentration Office to make sure that I would be able to study theater here. I wanted to come here, but I definitely wanted to study theater. The special concentrations [program] has been amazing. They’re very supportive in allowing people to study what they want, and that [theater] is definitely what I’ve wanted to study. It’s been awesome. My concentration mainly focuses on acting and playwriting, but I’ve also been able to do some directing. Being here but doing a special concentration has been able to open my horizons, and [it has] been able to let me do a ton of stuff.

THC: Is there a reason why you decided to come to Harvard as opposed to a conservatory?

JAB:  I almost went to a conservatory, but I wasn’t ready to give up academics. One of the most important things about making art is being well-rounded person, and being able to learn and take liberal arts classes is important to your art. I’m very happy that I’m here because I haven’t had to give up my academic work but it’s also helped my artistic endeavors.

THC: What are your plans after graduating?

JAB: I think I’m going to move to New York and see what happens. A lot of my friends who have been involved in theater who have wanted to pursue that are SAT tutors, so I’m going to try my hand at that while I figure out my career. But I know I want to be in New York next year and be working in theater.

THC: What would you recommend other students who want to pursue theater at a professional level at Harvard?

JAB: I would just say there’s no better way to learn about theater other than doing it. If you’re thinking about doing it, don’t think about it and just do it.

On CampusTheaterArtsCampus Arts