National Humanities Medal Winner Has ‘Great Fun’ at White House

President Barack Obama laughs with Robert Putnam as he awards him the the 2012 National Humanities Medal during a ceremony in the East Room of White House on Wednesday.

Harvard Kennedy School professor Robert D. Putnam, the author of Bowling Alone, a social science book on the deterioration of American community, on Wednesday received a prestigious award and met a really awful bowler.

Barack Obama, a graduate of Harvard Law School who once bowled a 37, honored Putnam at the White House for his work in "deepening our understanding of community in America," according to a statement released by the White House Office of the Press Secretary.

Putnam was recognized as one of 12 recipients of the National Humanities Medal for 2012. The award, which was presented to the recipients personally by the president, honors individuals or groups who have made significant contributions to the expansion and preservation of humanistic studies.

"Examining how patterns of engagement divide and unite, Dr. Putnam’s writing and research inspire us to improve institutions that make society worth living in, and his insights challenge us to be better citizens," the White House statement read.

Putnam has penned more than a dozen books, including the best-selling "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community." At Harvard, Putnam teaches public policy courses to undergraduates and graduate students, and his research deals extensively with the decline of American community since the 1960s, particularly in terms of social capital. He also holds an appointment in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Putnam said in a phone interview Friday that he was "a little surprised" to receive an award typically given to humanists, but said his work with community falls in line with some "basic themes of the humanities."

Putnam added that his White House experience was "great fun," and that he was delighted to receive the award.

"I’m honored to be in such distinguished company, especially as a social scientist," he said.

Last year, Harvard affiliates received three of the nine National Humanities Medals awarded for 2011.

Humanities DivisionHarvard Kennedy SchoolFacultyObamaAwardsFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.