Will Holub-Moorman

Electric Lady
Music

Playlist: Sci-Fi Suites

Yardfest headliner Janelle Monae’s forays into futuristic soul on her albums “The ArchAndroid” and “The Electric Lady” aren’t the first time a popular musician has crafted albums around heady concepts of dystopia and (occasionally) utopia. This week, the Arts Blog explores a few of our other favorite sci-fi-themed albums.

hold steady teeth dreams cover
Music

“Steady” Decline Continues on “Teeth Dreams”

“Teeth Dreams” has some decent songs, but none that would have cracked the final track listing on one of The Hold Steady’s best albums.

The Milk-Eyed Mender
Music

For the Record: "The Milk-Eyed Mender"

Staff writer Will Holub-Moorman revisits eccentric harpist and singer-songwriter Joanna Newsom's 2004 debut, "The Milk-Eyed Mender."

CEO Wonderland art
Music

CEO Builds His Palace In “Wonderland”

On “Wonderland,” Berglund cares less about meeting expectations than he does about eliminating them altogether. Like Lewis Carroll’s creation of the same name, the resulting landscape is simultaneously opulent and unsettling, both organic and artificial.

Arts

11 Scenes We Wish Had Made the Breaking Bad Finale

Incoming Campus Arts Exec Will Holub-Moorman runs through the scenes we all would've liked to see make the ending of Breaking Bad.

Music

No Checkered Flag for Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

As was the case with “It’s A Corporate World,” the strength of “The Speed of Things” is its top-notch and sonically varied production. If only they were working with better songs. There are some great songs on “The Speed of Things,” but they’re far outnumbered by great moments in mediocre songs.

Boston Conservatory Orchestra at Sanders
Music

The Most Used (and Abused) Classical Music Pieces

What do "Dead Poets Society," "Die Hard," and "Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit" all have in common? Answer: you can hear Beethoven’s "Ode to Joy" in all of them. Directors have been relying on classical music since the invention of the silver screen. Even during classical's present decline in popularity, you'll rarely make it through a modern movie without hearing something Thomas Jefferson would've considered an oldie. Of course, with thousands of directors mining the classical archives for score material, some pieces are bound to pop up more than occasionally. Watch out for five of the most overused classical pieces in film:

Boston Calling - Kendrick Lamar
Music

Boston Calling Returns with a Vengeance

Saturday brought beards, and Sunday brought Boston Strong tank tops. This past weekend’s Boston Calling music festival drew a diverse crowd to City Hall Plaza to see acts ranging in genre from folk to trap, continuing the success its earlier incarnation had in May.

Music

"Kiss Land" As Bad As Title Suggests

What makes the failure of “Kiss Land” so disappointing is that it comes from a musician who put out 2011’s best record: the mixtape “House of Balloons.” With a debut album this terrible, maybe the Weeknd should go back to making mixtapes.

Music

Singles Roundup

The new single from Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. takes them into slightly synth-ier territory, but remains properly quirky and oddly sultry. New Kids On The Block begin to show their age with cut-rate and poorly-disguised Auto-Tune. Meanwhile, Chris Brown's new single is lyrically uncomfortable.

Film

Working in the Wrong Dimension

Hollywood has recently taken an interest in re-releasing old favorites in 3D, but this is a misstep. 3D has proven itself as a powerful cinematic tool, yet it is often used as little more than a promotional tool. Much of the success of the recent re-releases is due to the audience's nostalgia for the films, not the fact that the films are now in 3D.

Music

Black Angels Take the Road More Traveled

It used to be an accomplishment to make it through an entire Black Angels album in a single sitting. However, “Indigo Meadow” continues the work of its predecessor, “Phosphene Dream,” in stripping away this production in favor of a clear and classic style.

Music

Low Fails to Match Peak on Latest

There’s something beautiful and useless about “The Invisible Way.” It certainly has the highest production value of any album Low has put out in their 20-year career, but for the most part it simply retreads the same musical concepts as those other albums.

Music

Crouching Tyga, Hidden Yardfest

You may not know much about Tyga. He also may not have been your top choice to headline Yardfest this year. But that's okay. The Arts blog is here to acquaint you with the untold joys of Tyga's oeuvre.

HRO Concert
College

HRO Performs Challenging Program With Solid Results

The gap in musicianship and technical skill between the strings and the rest of the orchestra persisted throughout the symphony. The strings were mostly excellent throughout, even providing some jaw-dropping moments such as the wonderfully formed interplay between the violins and cellos during the third movement.

Youth Homelessness in the Square
Harvard Square

For Homeless Youth, Age Can Compound Challenges of Life on the Streets

On Year Later: Boston Marathon Bombings
Boston Marathon

VIDEO: Looking Back One Year Later, Harvard Affiliates Prepare to Return to Finish Line

Johnston Gate Arts Cover
Arts

Rebuilding the Past: Harvard's Beautification Renaissance

Awkward Eye Contact
Columns

Let’s Talk about Campus-Eye-Contact-Culture