Erica X Eisen

On Campus

"The Pillowman" Not for the Softhearted

With precise performances and minimalist flair, Lily R. Glimcher ’14’s production of "The Pillowman" captures with equal success both the comic and the creepy aspects of the play. The result is a show that is simultaneously hard to watch and hard to tear oneself away from.

Admissions Question of the Day

Should your main essay be the Common App essay or the college essay?

The main essay that is read by all colleges you apply to through the Common Application is your Common App essay, so be sure to make this very strong and broadly applicable. The Common App essay is typically something that talks about your personal experiences, something that has happened in the past that has influenced you, for example.

Admissions Question of the Day

I will be visiting college campuses soon. Do I need to have on-campus interviews?

On-campus interviews are not required. In fact, there are a great deal of schools that do not offer them. Even those that do have on-campus interviews often do not have them year-round. In general, schools will contact you for alumni interviews in your area. Below is a list of some schools, broken down by whether or not they offer on-campus interviews:

Admissions Blog

How many people are accepted off the waitlist each year?

This number varies from school to school and from year to year—sometimes hundreds will be admitted, but sometimes none will. Harvard's dean of admissions, William Fitzsimmons, told The Crimson earlier this year that in recent years, Harvard has accepted between zero and 228 waitlisted students.

Admissions Blog

If I am planning on visiting a school, do I need to make reservations ahead of time?

Whether or not reservations are required varies by school—below is a breakdown of universities and their various policies regarding this topic. In general, it is important to look at the websites of universities you’d like to visit before you set foot on campus. Make sure that tours and information sessions are indeed being offered on the day that you are planning to be there—some colleges do not offer them every day of the week, and holidays might mean tours and information sessions are suspended.

Admissions Blog

What happens if I'm waitlisted?

After you have received all of your decisions, you should reflect upon the choices you have and decide a plan of action. It may be that you feel that the school(s) that waitlisted you are not worth pursuing; if that is the case, you should ask to be taken off the waitlist.

Admissions Blog

How to Choose a Teacher for a Recommendation Letter

It's always best to choose someone who really knows you, someone who has, perhaps, seen both your strengths and your weaknesses. Then, your teacher can attest to your strengths and maybe even write about times when you've overcome your weaknesses. If you choose someone who knows you on a superficial level just because you think they're considered to be the best teacher at your school, then you might not get the same in-depth recommendation letter that someone who knows you well can write.

Mental Health

Q&A: The Creative Supplement, Mental Health, and More

Is it risky to send in a creative writing supplement? If I have a mental illness, how should I factor that in when deciding what schools to apply to? What do Ivy League schools look for in an applicant other than grades and test scores?

Step 4
Admissions

Q&A: Sending Scores, Organizing Essays, and More

When should I start working on my essays? If I have a low AP score, do I still have to report it? Do you have any organizational tips for college applicants?

On Campus

“Everybody” Overreaches

"Finnegans Wake” is, if less maligned, not much more understood. Or read, for that matter—the book’s reputation as an impenetrable thicket of allusions and nonsense words leaves few willing to hack their way through the entire thing. Daniel W. Erickson ’14, writer, actor, and director of “Here Comes Everybody,” hoped to change that with his one-man production. The piece, which ran at the Adams Pool Theatre through September 28 was Erickson’s attempt to render a colossus of world literature approachable. What was intended to be a conversational manner, however, came off as forced and glib, largely obscuring what was meant to be an intimate and personal work.

Admissions

Q&A: A Breakdown of Financial Aid

Many high-ranking schools also have top-notch financial aid programs.

brochures Q&A
Admissions Blog

Q&A: Blog Basics, Test-Taking, and More

What kind of questions does the Q&A section answer? Should I take the SAT or the ACT? Should I visit a college even before I've been admitted? The answers to these and other questions will be found in this installment of the Admissions Blog Q&A section.

Summer Postcards 2013

Image

No caption

Summer Postcards 2013

Image

No caption

Summer Postcards 2013

Image

No caption

Youth Homelessness in the Square
Harvard Square

For Homeless Youth, Age Can Compound Challenges of Life on the Streets

On Year Later: Boston Marathon Bombings
Boston Marathon

VIDEO: Looking Back One Year Later, Harvard Affiliates Prepare to Return to Finish Line

Johnston Gate Arts Cover
Arts

Rebuilding the Past: Harvard's Beautification Renaissance

Awkward Eye Contact
Columns

Let’s Talk about Campus-Eye-Contact-Culture