Wolfgang Today

Have you ever wondered what Mozart might create if he were to set out to compose music today? If you

Have you ever wondered what Mozart might create if he were to set out to compose music today? If you haven't, you probably have wondered how Mozart would react to Leonard Bernstein, Pierre Boulez, or even Fleetwood Mac. Maybe they're both the same question. In any event, the first question is the one which Larry Livingston, music director of the New England Conservatory Symphony Orchestra, will address Tuesday night in the NEC's first "Music After Five" program of the season. Livingston's lecture and demonstration is one of half-a-dozen mostly free classical events this week at the Conservatory, 290 Huntington Ave., Boston, ranging from contemporary American to Bach.

Livingston, who comes to the NEC from the University of N. Illinois, will hold his talk in the NEC's Brown Hall at 6 p.m., and will attempt to discuss "how a young Mozart might approach music today and what he might write." The evening should be interesting and controversial, especially bearing in mind the composer to be discussed. It should also be expensive--$8 a person--but go anyway, particularly if you're intrigued by the new currents in musical composition.

The Conservatory's other attractions are less expensive--they're free--and are also pleasant concerts of appealing and interesting works. The NEC Conservatory Repertory Orchestra performs Berlioz's Overture to "Beatrice and Benedict," Debussy's "Iberia," and Beethoven's "Pastoral Symphony" on Wednesday at 8 p.m. in Jordan Hall, Boston. Don't miss that. Composer-flutist John Heiss is presenting a recital of contemporary American works on Monday--same time, same place. "A Musical Offering by J. S. Bach," at King's Chapel, Sunday at 5 p.m., features performances on original instruments at baroque pitch with early tunings. Again in Jordan Hall, the NEC Faculty Chamber Music series begins on Tuesday at 8 p.m. The varied program includes Mozart's Trio for Clarinet and Piano, K. 498 and Ravel's Sonata for Violin and Cello. For info about any of these NEC concerts call 262-1120.

We'll get to Harvard soon enough, but still in Boston are concerts by the Boston Symphony and the Boston U. Symphony Orchestra. Seiji Ozawa conducts an all-Respighi concert today at 11 a.m.--"Festa Romane," "Fountains of Rome" and "Pines of Rome." The BSO also performs Haydn's Symphony No. 30 in C, the Boston Premiere of Cruckman's "Chiaroscuro," and Respighi again (minus "Festa Romane"). Here's your chance to hear the Respighi--interesting works evoking Roman splendor; the concerts are Friday at 2, Saturday at 8:30, and Tuesday at 7:30. The BU Symphony concert features the exciting Piano Concerto No. 1 by Brahms and "Firebird Suite" by Stravinsky. It's Friday at 8 p.m.

Lynn Chang and Richard Kogan will draw you back to Harvard on Friday at 8:30 p.m., in South House, for the major musical attraction on campus this week. They are giving a free single performance of Mozart, Brahms, Prokofiev and Ysaye. These two Harvard talents are always exciting and moving. The Busch-Reisinger Thursday Noon Recital Series is always available; this week's a "Consort of early music." Dunster House Music Society rounds out the weekend with Bach on Friday and a Mendelssohn trio on Sunday afternoon.