Finding Pits in the Apple

Just back from that long road trip to my home in the suburbs, just in time to study for some

Just back from that long road trip to my home in the suburbs, just in time to study for some tests. I stayed home for most of the vacation except for one foray outside the Boston area when I bore into the Big Apple, which was a Big Mistake.

The mistake was that I managed to get my car towed. And it wasn't any piddling 14 bucks like it is in Cambridge, it was a piddling 65 bucks. New York is using the money they get from towed cars to help bail them out of their financial woes because they can't get a big enough loan from Household Finance.

Of course that brings me right to tonight's hockey game which is the last until February. The Crimson will take on Northeastern in Watson Rink at 7:30 p.m. in an effort to maintain fourth place in the ECAC.

But Saturday is the big day for Harvard sports. At the IAB at 1:30 p.m. in the penthouse suite, the men's basketball team will battle a similar team from Connecticut College. Connecticut, for those of you not taking "Human Geography," is a state near Hartford. If you said that residents of the state fear the annual floods of the Ganges River, you are wrong.

At 2 p.m. in the selfsame IAB, in a different room on the second floor, Harvard's fencers will be performing ritual Japanese suicide using the Dartmouth fencing team as models. Spectators are encouraged to bring their own mats.

At the same time and in the same place the women fencers will be taking on a team from Dartmouth.

Don't tell me you haven't seen the men's squash team yet this year. If you did tell me that, you don't have to say it after Saturday, when the squashers will be stroking against Navy. And to see this match, you should be at the Hemenway Gym (n.b. not Hemingway) at 2 p.m.

And back at the ole IAB, which was the onetime residence of Theodore Roosevelt, the women's basketball team will be dribbling against MIT at 5:30 p.m.

Aside from all that great sporting activity at Lamont Library, there will be some stuff down at the Boston Garden.

The Bruins, who are leading their division, at this writing several days ago, will be skating against an always-tough Los Angeles Kings tonight at 7:35 p.m. The Kings should be more of a challenge than they were last year when the drought in their state forced them to practice on roller skates. Now when the rain and the ice cometh, the Kings won't have any excuse.

And looking toward next week, the Bruins will be playing the Washington Capitals Thursday at 7:35 and the Detroit Red Wings next Saturday at 1:15 p.m.

The Boston Celtics, who were in first place at this writing more than two years ago, have to play the New York Nets tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. But on Sunday afternoon the Celts will really have their hands full when they play the World Champion Portland Trailblazers at 1 p.m.

Next Wednesday Satch and the Celts will be challenged by that contingent known as the Milwaukee Bucks at 7:30 p.m.

That's about all I have to say. No in-house private jokes this week, Suzy.

Have a good rest of reading period and a wonderful exam period. I'll see you some time after all this has passed through our system.

Be there. Kahlua. --Marc M. Sadowsky

P.S. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The Super Bowl is being played this Sunday and if you didn't get your tickets already, you're going to have to watch Dallas and Denver play on television at 6 p.m.