Fifteen Minutes: As Follows: Send Us More!

Forwarded message Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:53:51 EDT From: Shadowcr@aol.com Subject: Letter from a prospective Harvard student I'm a

Forwarded message Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:53:51 EDT

From: Shadowcr@aol.com

Subject: Letter from a prospective Harvard student

I'm a male high school senior who's been accepted to Harvard. I'd appreciate any opinions that you have on the whole Harvard experience thing. Specifically, how easy or difficult you've found it to be to have a social life (and how intellectual the student body is, individually or on the whole--and more to the point, whether or not being intellectual and being social complement each campus (in the absence of actual frats), whether the workload is manageable (and under what conditions do you find it so or not so), and whether you've found the profs and courses interesting on the whole. All generic questions, I know, but they're pretty all-encompassing anyway. As such, if you're getting this, I found you on the College Democrats, Dissent, or Debate Society webpages, all of which I'm thinking about getting involved in with various amounts of seriousness.

Also, if any of you know people on the Lampoon, I'd be ultra-appreciative if you could send me their email addresses. Also, if any of you were in the IB program in high school, did it make the work at Harvard seem any easier? In case you wanted to know where I'm coming from, here's some stats:

MY EC ACTIVITIES ETC: Drama club (9 plays as actor, techie, director), Orlando Sentinel teen correspondent and movie critic for three years, Florida Film Festival volunteer, Science State (2 years), Drama State (1 year), Nat'l Merit Finalist, school literary mag, Mu Alpha Theta, volunteer at local Democratic headquarters in ‘96

CLOSEST RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION: Humanist/Agnostic

OTHER SCHOOLS I GOT INTO: Swarthmore, Haverford, Duke, Tufts, Northwestern, Wesleyan, Emory, William & Mary, and UFlorida

ONLY ONE OF THESE THAT I'M REALLY CONSIDERING ALONGSIDE HARVARD: Swarthmore

IF THE FLORIDA PRIMARY HADN'T BEEN MOOT THIS YEAR, I WOULDA VOTED FOR: Bradley

FAVORITE MOVIES: Metropolitan, Vanya on 42nd Street, A Fish Called Wanda, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Broadcast News, Animal House, The Last Picture Show, Manhattan, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner, Richard III (‘95), Moonstruck, The Big Chill, Pulp Fiction, Tootsie

FUNNIEST MOVIE SCENE: "Springtime For Hitler" from The Producers

FAVORITE NATIONAL LAMPOON PIECE: O.C. and Stiggs

FAVORITE PARAGRAPH: The second-to-last in Gatsby

FAVORITE PLAYWRIGHT WHO, THANK GOD, STILL HASN'T LOST IT: David Mamet

MY IB EXTENDED ESSAY TOPIC: Nixon and the ‘72 election

FAVORITE SONG: Hotel California (the only Eagles song I even like--which is weird, I think)

FAVORITE TIME OF DAY: 5:45 PM

Thank you loads in advance for anything you can help me with,\

ShadowCr