Sleep Easy

It’s not always easy trying to find an affordable place to stay in Cambridge. Lest you forget that comfortable accommodations
By B. Feinstein

It’s not always easy trying to find an affordable place to stay in Cambridge. Lest you forget that comfortable accommodations can be had for under $120, here are FM’s top picks to save big next Parents’ Weekend.

Copley Inn

A charming brick townhouse tucked away in one of Boston’s nicest neighborhoods, the Copley Inn offers 21 cozy rooms with fully-equipped kitchenettes. Just minutes away from the Prudential T-stop, the Copley Inn is perfect for parents who want to experience Beantown and don’t want to see their kids stumbling home drunk from Redline.

(Average rate: $100/night)

Pros: Right in the heart of Boston. Kitchenettes are convenient.

Cons: No parking. No smoking. 30-minute T-ride to Harvard Square.

19 Garrison Street, Boston

(617) 236-0300

John Jeffries House

This small, tastefully decorated hotel does a spectacular job of maintaining its turn-of-the century feel. Each morning guests are greeted with a B&B-style continental buffet in the elegant common room. The small quarters come with all the amenities you’d expect, plus some feature sleek kitchenettes. Located in a quiet neighborhood on Charles Street, right next to the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, John Jeffries House is just three T-stops away from Harvard Square.

(Average rate $110/night)

Pros: Can’t be beaten for quality and price. Weelchair-accessible. Small courtyard garden.

Cons: Not exactly the roomiest digs.

14 David G. Mugar Way, Boston

(617) 367-1866

Harding House Bed & Breakfast

All the charm of an 1860’s Victorian home with the amenities of modern living. The Harding House comes with all the perks you’d expect from a typical hotel—complete with complementary parking, continental breakfast, and mini shampoo bottles—but also adds some unique touches such as free DSL internet access and wine receptions every Thursday evening. Best of all, the Harding House is a 5-minute walk from Central Square, just one T-stop away from Harvard.

(Average rate: $120/night)

Pros: Charming. Superb service. Plenty of amenities.

Cons: Only affordable in the off-season. None of the rooms are going to win any awards for décor.

288 Harvard Street, Cambridge

(877) 489-2888

Days Hotel—Boston/Cambridge

The Days Hotel is arguably the cheapest hotel in the area. It features comfortable rooms, a fully-stocked fitness center, an outdoor swimming pool, a spacious lounge and free parking. Overlooking the Charles River and only one mile from Harvard Square, this is the perfect choice for visitors who want to be close to where the action is.

(Average rate: $95/night)

Pros: Comfortable rooms. Walking distance from Harvard.

Cons: Generic and impersonal. Right on Soldiers’ Field Road.

1234 Soldiers’ Field Road, Cambridge

(866) 260-0402